Morpheus 3D printer.

Post, review and discuss any commercial machines. Try to include links, specifications and prices.
firecardenal
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Morpheus 3D printer.

Postby firecardenal » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:49 am

I am impressed by the print area of ​​this thing. :shock:

kickstarter_morpheus_3D_printer: https://youtu.be/cn69UvTotdY

Morpheus3DPrinter_reims_mark3: https://youtu.be/BZ73nHNTQkc

Hugues
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Morpheus 3D printer.

Postby Hugues » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:10 am

Apart of using a LCD screen, which is cool, anyone knows what kind of vat they are using to achieve such high speeds ?

Seems to be just a stretched film vat, but which type of film ?

The Z movement on their time lapse video of the cathedral above is peculiar.

James

Postby James » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Kudos to the Koreans for figuring out how to use an LCD screen successfully enough to make it into a functioning product. Just out of curiosity, how did you learn about this Kickstarter campaign will so quickly? I just learned about it just now.

Yeah, that would be good to know Hugues. Looks like the machine is based on the Muve3D http://www.muve3d.net so perhaps they are simply using a sheet of Teflon. What I would like to know is how are they getting enough light to go through that LCD screen with enough power to polymerize the MakerJuice G+ and B9R-1-Cherry resins? Don't LCD screens have UV filter additives built right into the plastic components?
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

firecardenal

Postby firecardenal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:51 pm

if I understood correctly

LCD is only used as a mask to allow or block the passage of light. The light source is behind, and is an ultraviolet LED light

It is like welding masks.

James

Postby James » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:02 pm

That's correct. However, numerous people have tried to use LCD panels to create a SLA machine and had poor results. The main reason for the poor results is the plastic that the LCD panel is made from is compounded with UV inhibitors that prevent UV light from penetrating through the LCD panel. The big reason everybody has been trying to make a SLA machine using a LCD panel is because LCD panels are extremely cheap compared to DLP projectors or laser galvos. I could make that machine that they are presenting on their Kickstarter for under $350. That's because I can get an LCD panel very cheaply. Eventually, somebody's gonna find out what that panel is and then there is going to be an explosion of SLA 3D printers hitting the market because they'll be able to be made very cheaply. I highly doubt that they had that LCD panel custom-made so that it could transmit UV wavelengths, but if that is the case that would explain why they are asking such a high price for their machine.

By the way, how did you learn about this Kickstarter campaign will so quickly? I just learned about it today.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

firecardenal

Postby firecardenal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Thank you for the explanation.
I found on youtube. :P

James

Postby James » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:16 pm

I see, I see. Thanks. :)

marcovanschagen

Postby marcovanschagen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:28 pm

:)
I was aware of this printer since a few weeks ago, yet was surprised by relatively low number of followers on facebook at the time (hint). I have been playing with same thought and am really curious about the vat.

I read the guy explained that he is using a commercial LCD screen, and he had worked at LG displays firm. Seems they were not interested in the ideas and hence he started this. It will be an interesting change!

As for UV, I understand that different screens allow different wavelengths on the edge of normal visible light. Also for some displays this behaviour is 'helped' by the 3-4 transparent sheets added to the LCD panel, so it could be adjusted by replacing those. Then only you need insights into UV characteristics of available screens to pick the right one... Additionally in the last 6 months or so the resin types have been adjusted to cure at near-visible or blue light - up to 420nm or so, well above the deep UV wave length.
It is possible also that he is sourcing true B/W screens from factory directly... That would explain the price!

James

Postby James » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:40 pm

They could very well be using a black and white panel. That would explain a lot. Thanks for your input! Very helpful! :)

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:47 pm