Durable and accurate top bottom 3d printer

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Clay_sculptor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Durable and accurate top bottom 3d printer

Postby Clay_sculptor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:41 pm

A top-down printer is much easier to construct since there is only one axis to worry about and no worries to have the print peel away from the film of the typical down-up printers. I am still working over certain details. Depending on the projector that you get you can have a 3d printer that would cost thousands of dollars for less than a thousand. The projector is usually more than 50% of the cost. Creation workshop will be used as the main software for 3d printing.

List of hardware (core components) :
-Acer Projector or any projector that uses UV light
-z axis cnc slider
-Nema 17 motor
-either a anduino uno or Ramps 1.4 + 5x A4988 stepstick driver
-power supply
-Endstop switch
-build platfrom
-resin tank

-addition parts may be needed for the printers appearance and stability. May involve brackets and plastic sheets. Possible addition of wireless or SD card printing. I am not familiar with Creation workshop but if anyone is, can the "tool path" be saved like for a FDM printer? Judging by the workshop site it seems that the computer needs to be plugged in. So I might just get a cheap decent computer to run my prints.

I will start this build in a couple of weeks. During the time I will refine and consult with a few others to refine this printer either online or with a few friends of mine. If you have any helpful suggestions to aid in the better development of this printer then please comment.

wirelessguyny

Re: Durable and accurate top bottom 3d printer

Postby wirelessguyny » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Welcome aboard. :)

I've just updated my owe build log and there may be some useful info for you there. I'm in complete agreement by the way, top-down is a better choice.

Bottom up has at least two fatal flaws as far as I'm concerned. (a) fogging on the bottom of the vat (b) the item is being pulled up out of the solution so deformation of anything not completely cured is going to be a big issue. While there may be work-arounds that people can devise they will always be just that.

Best of luck.