SLA Project built with (mostly) recycled/salvaged parts.

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
258cj7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: SLA Project built with (mostly) recycled/salvaged parts.

Postby 258cj7 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:42 pm

It's looking good. Just one thing I see from the picture is the size of your platform looks like it is almost the size of the vat. Don't forget it will displace a lot of resin when it is lowered to the bottom of the vat and might cause an overflow.

Also, with the passive tilt, go easy on the speed of the z axis movements, especially for the first layer or two. When the platform is touching the vat bottom the vacuum force can be significant. It is better to lift slowly and let resin flow in to the gap than to try to jerk it quickly and maybe break something. After you do a few tests you will get a feel for how fast and how far you can lift to get a separation.

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks! Actually the passive tilt came from your design. Simple and efficient, the way I like things.
The picture is a bit deceptive, there's a 1/2" space between the build platform and the vat walls, I am also planning on adding just a bit of resin at a time.
I will probably be running my first tests within two weeks or so.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Hello again guys. I finally had a chance to finish the tray for my printer. It has a passive tilt based on 258cj7 design. The body is made of transparent acrylic with a base made of fused quartz covered with FEP.
Now I only need to modify the projector. It will be probably finished next week. I'll keep you posted.
Attachments
DSCF2141.JPG

Finhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Finhead » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Looking really good. I also went with the passive tilt and it worked really nice for small pieces approx 50mm square anything larger just didn't peel correctly or at all. Maybe if I upped the lift past 6mm it would have worked but it was super easy to just add a tilt motor instead. Just thought I should post experience with the passive VAT.

Clinton

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks!! I am being really cautious about the passive tilt since the consensus shows that it is good for small prints only. I have a 7 degree max. tilt on it which amounts to about an inch on the side opposite to the hinge. Hopefully the combination of passive tilt and FEP will allow me to successfully produce large prints.

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Preliminary projector tests. I am using a Dell 3400MP with color wheel removed.
Attachments
DSCF2353.JPG

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:00 pm

I've decided to use a mirror to reflect the projected image. This way I can experiment with different projectors. I already have a whole bunch of first surface mirrors which I got from an old projection TV and cut down to about 8" x 8". Almost there!!
Attachments
DSCF2367.JPG

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:45 pm

MakerJuice's SubSF resin is here with a little premium (how did they know Jolly Rancher candies are my favorite?)
Attachments
DSCF2980.JPG

fleming

Postby fleming » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:00 am

Hi!
Congrats for your printer!!! I like it!!
Can you extend the explanations on fused quartz plate? Source? Price? Thickens?
Thanks in advance.
Reagards

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:44 pm