DLP 3dprinter build

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
johnrpm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

DLP 3dprinter build

Postby johnrpm » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:47 pm

I don't usualy do build logs, because I am so slow and get distracted onto other projects midway
through, (ohh thats a nice shinny thing), but as I think build logs help others most I suppose I shall have to do one, but be warned that it will be at a blisteringly slow pace, and just my take on things which probably will be the wrong way, but will serve as a how not to do it perhaps.
Random Precision

sitzme

Re: DLP 3dprinter build

Postby sitzme » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:56 am

A negative example is still good. It gives us a chance to learn from your mistakes and make brand new ones of our own! Lets see some pics/drawings! I am also behind on documenting most of my build but have tried to post the things that were different. Life gets in the way sometimes.

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:07 pm

I have put a lot of hours in the shed, but on a project I have been working on for 2 years, anyway some rubbish images of the build.

07022014142.jpg

07022014143.jpg

07022014144.jpg

sorry, forgot to rotate them.

The z axis rods are genuine stubbs silver steel I have had for some time, not hardened, but should
last for a while, ball bushes, and 3/8 bsf threaded rod leadscrew, (.050 pitch) also had this for some time, its a lot better quality than the studding these days, the leadscrew nut is made from oilon, "nylon cast with a lubricant", no backlash and very smooth.
The z axis is a piece of ally channel, 3"x2" and made to fit the stubbs rods without cutting them,
down, the rod holders and slide were bored on a milling machine.
the motor is salvaged from who knows, it has a resistance of 4ohms on the windings, so pretty powerfull for its size.
Random Precision

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:30 pm

I think it looks great. :)
What is your VAT made of Plexi? And your tilt mechanism I assume runs of the smaller stepper on the side, any info on the actual linkage etc?

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:49 pm

I made two vats, one from ally, the other "shown" plexi, the tilt /slide image is in another thread, but here is a copy showing the underside, it moves in a nice sideways and down action, but not sure if the motor is strong enough yet, with everyone saying that lots of force is needed, but should not be a problem to fit a bigger motor.

vatworm.jpg

Its driven by worm and wheel, salvaged of course.
Random Precision

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks for explaining John :)
I'm going to try a passive tilt for now but yours looks easy enough to add after if needed, nice job on that easy to fallow design.

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:27 pm

I have built it so that the vat plate can be removed and a different plate added to convert to top down if the adhesion problems get bad, the plate was from a chart recorder, salvaged of course.
Random Precision