front surface mirrors

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hp_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

front surface mirrors

Postby hp_ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:52 am

Looking at khwelling's blog he gives a list of possible sources to order som Front surface mirrors.

I've been ordering some stuff on toaboa for awhile now and found a supplier supplying to the US and Europe.

will put in an order of 2 pieces to check the quality.

here is the link:

hp

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: front surface mirrors

Postby PacManFan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:03 pm

I'd like to point out that you can use an old hard driver platter as a front surface mirror. It's pure polished aluminum & free (if you've got old drives).

hp_

Postby hp_ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi PacManFan,

thanks i got a few of those in a box somewhere :)

i only wonder if the surface of the disk will be big enough.

hp

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:35 pm

You can also do what I had to do last night since I broke the front surface mirror I had for my build. :/
Take a regular mirror and strip the paint off the back side, paint the front side and you have a first surface mirror. Not sure how long it will last but it seems to be exactly the same reflective quality as a piece of my broken front surface. Mine you it's a temp fix so I can get my build done and ready to go, I will be ordering a real one just in case. :)

Praesmeodymium

Postby Praesmeodymium » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:40 pm

you can salvage large first surface mirrors from projection tv's, a little careful handling is required as it is both glass and very prone to scratching the surface you're trying to salvage. I ended up using suede as a buffer between any tools and the mirrors metal surface.

stustu242

Postby stustu242 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:20 am

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:31 am

Cation

Postby Cation » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Low cost but not always 100% perfect

http://www.sciplus.com/p/MIRROR-FIRST-S ... -SMALL_248

all under $5ea up to 63MM X 231MM X 9.5MM THK

johanvd

Postby johanvd » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:14 pm