Backlit e-reader for LCD-printer, would it work?

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jonaslundin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Backlit e-reader for LCD-printer, would it work?

Postby jonaslundin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:53 am

Hi! I'm a newly registered user but I've been reading pretty much every thread during the last two days. What caught my interest the most is the LCD based printers but I understand there are a lot of difficulty to get passed before we have a successful design.

I've been scouring the internet for a good, cheap display and I just need to get something confirmed from the more experienced folks here. Would a backlit e-ink display work? I saw some posts about e-readers and the explanation was that e-ink is not suitable due to fact that it's lit from the sides(Kindle etc.). I've found a display that's 16 bit grayscale, 212dpi, cheap and backlit(?). The refresh rate probably sucks but that's not too important i hope.

What do you guys think?

dpizzle

Re: Backlit e-reader for LCD-printer, would it work?

Postby dpizzle » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 am

As far as I know, even if it says it's backlit, it's probably not, it's really side lit. It's just physically impossible to back light e-ink. If you're interested, you should read up on e-ink and tft lcd on wikipedia to understand why the technology works the way it does. Those articles and a few youtube videos made it all clear for me.