Hardware Trouble

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rusty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hardware Trouble

Postby rusty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:00 am

So some of my hardware have arrived and I manage to put them together.
-Arduino Mega 2560 R3
-RAMPS 1.4
-DRV 8825
-LDO NEMA 17 Motor

I manage to install the firmware as well but when I connect it to CW it didn't work well.
First I tried to click Z +1, the motor moving but it's like be held by something and then jumping around.
When I click Z -1 the motor not moving at all, only make buzzing sound

I tried to put the motor on Y axis, the result is =
Y+1 = Move in clock direction, didn't jump around.
Y-1 = Not Moving, only make buzzing sound

X Axis = same as Y

Also I tried to use RAMPS Test.pde and the result is =
Z Axis not working.
Y Axis working fine, clock or counterclockwise direction.
X Axis not working.

Somebody can help me what I should do? I don't know what to fix or which part I need to change.
Thanks

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Hardware Trouble

Postby PacManFan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:21 am

The first thing to check is your Z and X axis's. It sounds like the you may have the motor wiring incorrect. Make sure you've isolated the pairs of wires for each phase, you may have to flip with the 2 A or B phase wires. Also make sure your drivers are seated correctly on the RAMPs boards. For the Y axis, That sounds like you might need to adjust your endstop settings. If they aren't set correctly, the firmware will only allow you to move in one direction until the axis's are homed with the homing command.

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 am

Yep I second Steve. Once you have the motors checked for wringing issues make sure you have endstops installed correctly and trigger them. If you have nothing built and it's just a test on the bench just push the home button on whichever axis you are trying to test and trigger the endstop by hand, that axis should now move opposite to home and back to the home position as well.

rusty

Postby rusty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks for the response.
Actually I'm quite confuse with the wiring, after several attempt I use this
Red = 2B, Blue = 2A, Black = 1A, Green = 1B
I don't know if this correct wiring but it work. Btw here schematic for my stepper motor
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/116718097/A.jpg

As for the end stop, actually I don't have it yet.
I thought the printer can be build ed without EndStop so I haven't buy anything.
I used the Y and X axis just for test purpose to make sure which one of is not working.
Do I need EndStop for Z Axis?

EDIT =
Re-test again with RAMPSTestCode.ino
The Ressult is
Z = Not moving, only make buzzing sound
Y = Moving
X = Not moving, not making any sound

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:59 am

No I believe for your Z axis to work correctly you need at least one endstop and you can limit the travel away from that endstop through software Z Max.

Your Z axis motor humming would be either of 3 things IMO just from experience in the same situation.
1. You need to have a properly configured endstop and it needs to be triggers.
2. You need to disable the temp sensors in your firmware. If you download the Marlin firmware I posted it has them disabled, if you don't want to use it for some reason you can just look at how it's done and replace your values.
3. Your power supply is not strong enough either the voltage is low or amp draw is too much or both.

rusty

Postby rusty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:21 pm

I see, then time to buy some Endstop, I will re test it again after it arrived.
Meanwhile I will check the power supply and another part.
Okay, I will check the firmware Finhead, thanks =w=b