HELP to configure CW+arduino: this is what my first print looks like.

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
torla91
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

HELP to configure CW+arduino: this is what my first print looks like.

Postby torla91 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi folks, i'm trying to make the first prints with my DIY 3d printer, This is what my printer looks like:
and this is one of the first prints:
The problem is that the dimensions of the model are not the true ones, and i can not figure out how to configure the machine to work properly.
For what concern the XY axis, i can configure the axis simply correcting the scale through the machine settings of CW, but for the Z axis i'm having a lot of problem.
i'm using a stepper motor (1.8deg/step, 200 step/turn, 1/16th step drive) connected to a trapezoidal screw with a thread 10x3 DX.

The arduino code is this: .

which is the true procedure to configure the machine Z axis? thank you in advance.

SlowSL

Re: HELP to configure CW+arduino: this is what my first print looks like.

Postby SlowSL » Mon May 16, 2016 10:07 am

It's been a while since I've messed with it, I think I used bits and pieces from random places to get my Z height tuned in, so here are a few that I used. These are example, from different machines and setups, your numbers will differ, but you should be able to find what you need from them.

look for...
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}

This will set the travel distance per unit, and if set correctly should put your Z axis scale where it should be. I don't believe there is a Z-adjustment in Creation Workshop, it must be altered in your firmware.

Here is a c/p from a tutorial with a few examples.....

Z steps

Most RepRap printers use a pair of threaded rods for the Z axis. So to calculate how far the Z axis moves for each revolution of the motor, first you need to know how much rotation is being transmitted to the Z rods, and then use the "thread pitch" of the rod (distance-per-revolution) to determine the vertical motion.
The basic formula to calculate motion on a rotating rod is:
steps_per_mm = (motor_steps_per_rev * driver_microstep) / thread_pitch
Some common examples:
// NEMA 17 with standard pitch M5 threaded rod:
(200 * 16) / 0.8 = 4000

// NEMA 17 with standard pitch M8 threaded rod:
(200 * 16) / 1.25 = 2560

// NEMA 17 with SAE 5/16" threaded rod. It has 18 threads per inch (25.4mm / 18):
(200 * 16) / (25.4 / 18) = 2267.7165355

And another link...

Stepper motor calc....

another...

Again, you will have to dig through these links to find what you need.

torla91

Re: HELP to configure CW+arduino: this is what my first print looks like.

Postby torla91 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Thank you very much, i found out the solution simply changing the software and using grbl, in grbl i correctly inseter the true number of step/mm by a trial and error procedure.
Thank you very much for your satisfying reply.