Need help with Marlin setup - MIN/MAX confusion and home pos

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
Kilh
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Need help with Marlin setup - MIN/MAX confusion and home pos

Postby Kilh » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Navstevnik
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Need help with Marlin setup - MIN/MAX confusion and home

Postby Navstevnik » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:05 am

You have disabled max endstops - #define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS if you want use both endstops.
I recommend checking endstop status using M119 command and manually trigger them and check status.
For this I recommend download printrun https://github.com/kliment/Printrun or other package maybe creation workshop can do it too I can't check it as I don't have it with me now.

For your home position you can probably set
// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define Z_HOME_DIR 1

And experiment with it or you can set in creation workshop post gcode to go x mm in z or just some big number so top endstop will stop it.

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:54 am

Should the MAX endstop be at the top or the bottom? I disabled one as I only wanted to use one hardware endstop and the software endstop for the bottom.

I tried setting the Z_HOME_DIR to 1 (max), but that's basically what I described above; it would try to print from the home position upwards.

Where does everyone have their MIN/MAX endstops? Top or bottom? I'd assume that it doesnt matter, but I can't get it to work correctly :|

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Try flipping your motor wire around, I think I had a similar problem to you and that was what fixed it for me.

My machine, I home to Max which is at the top, farthest away from the vat, and then the machine moves down to 0 which is where I start my print. Un invert your Z axis. Oh and if you have a gcode window you can type in M114 to get the current position of the axis, should be helpful for debugging which direction is which.

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Maybe I should put the basic question this way:

When I hit the "Home" button, do I want the platform to move to the first layer (in the VAT) or to the topmost position (at least in my logic that sounds right).

The motor moves just as it should, I can't see what should be wrong with the wiring.

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:54 pm

I edited my post.. have a look

as for your motor moving correctly, so was mine.. couldnt hurt to try it..

As for how the home should work, Its up to you. But for me, I have my home at the top, farthest away from the vat and then it moves down into the vat with a command from the start gcode.

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. So just to confirm what you're suggesting:
Plug in the motor to basically spin in the wrong direction (Green/Black/Red/Blue instead of Red/Blue/Green/Black) and invert the axis movement to compensate for that and to trick the firmware into thinking up is down and down is up?

I'll definitely give that a try, thanks a lot!

edit: Ah no, one moment... Now that I read your reply several times I think I'd just have to put that move downwards into the pre gcode, that might already solve everything! Is there a command to go right to the min software endstop?

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:45 pm

The homing procedure should move to the endstop you have set (max or min) and then move off the endstop, mine then goes back and touches off the endstop again and then moves off a little. My machine is set to home to Max, so after the homing my Z axis is now at my max travel (in my case 280mm) so if I type M114 my Z axis shows a position of 280.

In my start gcode I have the home command then a G1 Z-280 which brings my build plate down to 0.05-0.1mm above my FEP film vat bottom. The rest of my Gcode is all in the Z+ direction. For example some of my code.
********** Header Start ********
;Here you can set any G or M-Code which should be executed BEFORE the build process
G21 ;Set units to be mm
G91 ;Relative Positioning
M17 ;Enable motors
G28 Z0 ;Home
G1 Z-250 F700
G1 Z-30 F100

;********** Lift Sequence ********
G1 Z5 F200 ;Peel
G4 P200 ;Pause 0.2sec
G1 Z-7.9 F500 ;Lower for next layer (0.1mm layer)
G4 P500 ;Pause .5sec
;********** Lift Sequence *******

Im not tricking my machine, if I hit the up arrow in CW the Z moves up.

Its now sounds like you have your slice gcode not set correctly. Post up your Start, Pre-slice, lift and End Gcode.

Kilh

Postby Kilh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:47 pm