Problems with Z-axis calibration

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mattberg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Problems with Z-axis calibration

Postby mattberg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Hey guys, another noobish question here...

So I am using sprinter with an arduino mega, and the prints are coming out looking rather flat and squashed horizontally. Strange thing is that when I use the z axis controls, the platform moves a lot more than the number of mm i tell it to. I'm guessing that I need to change the Z axis steps per unit under configuration.h in sprinter? Its just strange that it doesn't move enough in z when printing, but too much when moving it through the controls.

My projector is about 16 inches from the resin, and i am trying to print at 50 microns, if that helps.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Z-axis calibration

Postby PacManFan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Did you enter in the projected size of the image into the build area? This is done on the Machine Configuration screen. Basically, if the image projects onto the surface of the resin at 102x76mm, you'll need to enter that in so the scaling will be correct.

You should also make sure you've got your steps per unit set up correctly in the firmware.

PomeroyB

Re: Problems with Z-axis calibration

Postby PomeroyB » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:05 pm

To expand on what Steve said, check out the first four or five photos in . If the resolution of the projector doesn't match what CWS thinks it is, you end up with elongated or squashed prints... Not because your Z isn't moving enough, but because your x and y are too big/small.

And, of course, check your steps per mm.