Step by Step guide to using CWS firmware

General support for the Uncia printer
Snakeyez116
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Step by Step guide to using CWS firmware

Postby Snakeyez116 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks to Steve Hernandez for setting this forum up!

I think as a start for beginners and for novices like myself maybe somebody could post a comprehensive guide to using CWS? I'm always seeing questions regarding calibration on the Google Uncia forum.

I know Steve has posted some details regarding this previously, and so has Rafael & Tertius (Youtube Video). Maybe we could upload everything regarding it's setting up here?

Cheers guys!

PomeroyB
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Step by Step guide to using CWS firmware

Postby PomeroyB » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 am

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:33 am

Alright, I've created a "Getting Started" subforum. However, to keep things tidy, the subforum and topics are locked (So there won't be any idle conversations).

If anyone would like to add a topic, please post it in the normal Unica forum, PM me, and I will move it to the subforum. Please keep in mind that the topics should be very step-by-step -- pictures/screenshots are encouraged! The better the Getting Started subforum is, the less problems new users will have.

Snakeyez116

Postby Snakeyez116 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 pm

You are amazing mate,

Thanks so much, however I have a second request, as selfish as it sounds after all you've done to enlighten us noobs :)
I've seen faffer and rafaels hardware improvements including its results, ie, RAMPS, planetary gear, etc and I've bought everything, I just don't know where to go abouts beginning the upgrade, whether Steve Hernandez's CWS should have any impact on it, or if I should upload the gcode hack by pressing the reset button, all a bit confusing.

Is there any clear cut hardware upgrade manual, to your knowledge, whereby I could go from zero to hero regarding having a proper 25 micron printing capability like the two guys I mentioned earlier do, have you seen their prints? They're mental!

Furthermore I get elongated prints, barely noticeable until I print a sphere or square, they come out oblong or asymmetrical. I've changed my aspect ratio and adjusted the positioning of my projector, and I have some good prints but it's just the anaemic look of the print in comparison to the 3d model that bothers me (not as full) any ideas?

Cheers and best regards!

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:27 pm

I'll be making a post about electronics/hardware upgrades eventually... Turns out that you can put the onto a Teensy 2.0 (Uncia stock electronics) no problem... Just requires some fiddling with the settings that I haven't finished yet. But I've been focusing on that, since it makes sense to keep as many things stock as possible.

The only manuals currently out there are Rafael's posts on the Google Group, as far as I know.

I would focus on getting your projector set up as perfect as possible -- if your prints are elongated, it means that your projector is not perpendicular to the build plate. Errors from that will just be more and more noticeable as you do lower layer heights! The only advice I can give is to use the calibration grid like a crazy person. Check it over and over until it's as perfect as you can get it!

Good luck!

Snakeyez116

Postby Snakeyez116 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:57 am

Cheers Brandon,

I'll be waiting with bated breath for that user guide haha.

These are some pics of my crappy prints, just to give you an idea of the trouble I'm dealing with:

IMG_9577(2).jpg
IMG_9577(2).jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 22293 times

IMG_9698(2).jpg
IMG_9698(2).jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 22274 times

2014-10-30 19.41.17(2).jpg
2014-10-30 19.41.17(2).jpg (33.23 KiB) Viewed 22274 times
Last edited by Snakeyez116 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:31 am

I can only see one photo, not sure if you uploaded more. I encourage you to make a thread in here showing off your prints! Even the bad ones! If you post lots of photos, we can more accurately identify whatever problems you may have, and provide references for others.

Anyways, you motivated me enough to get off my butt and make a new "Getting Started" installment -- Uncia's first print! After that one I'll probably do one on basic calibration, then the modifications. We'll see.

Snakeyez116

Postby Snakeyez116 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Hey Brandon,

Very happy to hear that! Can't wait, I'm just sitting here like an idiot with all the spare parts but no clue where to start haha, faffer gave me some info on the RAMPS installation, but not really sure what its for, whether I need to make changes to the firmware, flash it with the G-code circulating on the Uncia forum, or if that's completely immaterial to the entire thing. So a guide would be amazing regarding the hardware changes.

Another thing is how do I insert images into these posts? I attached 3 but that's the limit, if you look at my previous post I've updated it. Is there a way of inserting more than 3 images at a time?

Cheers!

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:08 am

Alright, now I can see all 3 of your photos. I always use to upload my photos, then just link to those photos, rather than using the "Upload attachment" button.

I can tell you right now that putting RAMPs on your printer won't improve your prints at all... It looks like all of your problems are originating from either the projector or the resin (And all RAMPs does is make it easier to print at lower layer heights).

Your third picture is the most telling... That Marvin keychain is way squished! Double check Specifically the first three photos relating to the projector resolution. Also double check your 10mm grid. Every time I adjust my projector or move my printer, I double check the 10mm grid.

The roughness in your layers appear to be from light bleeding... What's your projection time and dwell time? What resin are you using? Did you add any pigment? How close is it to its expiration date? All of these are factors.

I'm afraid that my next installment of the user guide won't actually help you that much... It just goes over how to slice a model and print it (Which you've obviously already done).

Snakeyez116

Postby Snakeyez116 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Hey Brandon,

You were right! I took my projector out and reattached it to the frame and now my grid lines are lining up much nicer!
However it shut down due to overheating before I could make a print, have you ever had that issue before? I hope it's nothing that will become a problem in the future.
I'm going to try either tonight or tmrw night to make another Marvin print to compare the round nature of the print in comparison to the squished one from before.
I've gotten an IMGR account so I'll attach both my good and bad prints here in case you have any comments to make or suggestions to offer.

Good prints:
Bad prints:

To answer your questions:

When you say "light bleeding" What do you mean and how can I avoid it?
What's your projection time and dwell time? Not sure what they are to be honest, Projection time, is it how long the printing lasts for? Dwell time how long I leave it after its been printed?
What resin are you using? FUNTODO Industrial Blend
Did you add any pigment? No
How close is it to its expiration date? Just received, assuming a while before it expires, will double check when I get home

Thanks!