Horizontal lines in print

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Vulwulf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Horizontal lines in print

Postby Vulwulf » Fri May 19, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks to the people in this forum I'm actually having success printing but I have one more problem.

I have horizontal lines in my print that appear as grooves then the slice above (or same slice?) is off center causing a ledge. I did a lot of searching but I couldn't​ find much, some about flexvat tension but that was before the acrylic plate was part of it so I don't know if it's valid anymore.

Only happened twice in this print but it was enough to notice and likely ruin one of my more detailed prints:

20170519_163947.jpg

goopyplastic

Re: Horizontal lines in print

Postby goopyplastic » Fri May 19, 2017 12:06 pm

What kind of computer are you using, are you using it while printing? is power saving turned off? making sure not to bump the printer during printing? tight vats generally result in fine shift lines not something this severe. Do those layers flare out on the reverse side too? (ie. do the layers seem overgrown, or does a segment seem shifted to one side.

Vulwulf

Postby Vulwulf » Fri May 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Attachments
20170519_191055.jpg

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 pm

What do your supports look like on that model?

Vulwulf

Postby Vulwulf » Fri May 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Attachments
20170519_211228.jpg

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Waxcast will generally require much stronger supports than other resins will, due to it being easily distorted. It's possible the build lines visible are from the print shifting due to stress events, shrinking / some supports releasing etc. Meshmixer is actually not all that good in my experience when it comes to small prints with small details. Often the attachment points do not penetrate into the model. I would try b9 layout maybe, also rotating the model in more than one axis will help breakup concentrated stress events on the model while printing, just a little bit will help. Probably not an issue but also make sure the build plate, vat holddowns, and z-arm are snug and secure.

Is this a tall or normal height LittleRP2? Both are pretty susceptible to movement, bumps etc the tall variant even moreso. If you do need to open the hood etc make sure you try and do it during the lift phase.

What is your lift / retract speed?

Vulwulf

Postby Vulwulf » Sat May 20, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for your advice on waxcast resin. I did notice that half or so of the supports at the bottom wernt attached at all, maybe that was makerjuice needing stronger support, maybe it was meshmixer, I don't know how it succeeded really, I'll look into b9 layout.

Mine is the tall version, and my lift speed is 50, return is speed 200.

Thanks for all your advice.

Vulwulf

Postby Vulwulf » Mon May 22, 2017 8:20 pm

It's all working as it should be now, I did a few things at once but I'm sure adding horizontal(ish) support was what sorted it, tilting in 2 angles helped too. It was as you said, and the ring was splaying apart at a few points when going down to the flexvat. I just made them in 3ds max, it seems complex but it wasn't too bad to remove:
20170523_005344.jpg

And the finished ring, no errors:

20170523_005508.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

James

Postby James » Thu May 25, 2017 10:10 am

I have no idea what caused that either. Is your house is sitting next to a gravity vortex that kicks in intermittently throughout the day? HAHA! :D

Maybe the STL had some bad vertices that got read by the slicer incorrectly is about all I can come up with.

Nice design by the way.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)