No Consistent Success - SOMEBODY HELP!!!

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Head-Zonk Studios
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

No Consistent Success - SOMEBODY HELP!!!

Postby Head-Zonk Studios » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:39 am

I just got some FTD Deep Black. It's wildly more reactive than MakerJuice SF Red. I've had to knock down the cure time to 1000ms per layer, and turn down the brightness of my projector so the ambient light wouldn't cure the entire exposure area.

The problem I'm having is with the flex vat. It will not stop sticking to the bottom of the vat, but it does fully adhere to the build plate. I thought it was manageable as I had gotten one fully successful print out of it. I tried printing the same model again from a different angle (the supports had some negative effects on some details), but with the lamp on econo-mode in an attempt to stop the sticking. It was still sticking to the bottom and the print failed. All of the supports formed but none of the actual model did.

I cleaned it out and set the lamp back to normal, but pretty much the same thing happened. It was sticking and the print failed again. Only bits and pieces formed and I was left with a thin sheet in an outline of the model hanging from the highest support.

Getting this machine to work has been a near nightmare. I thought I was finally getting somewhere having finally successfully made something that wasn't a test brick, but I cannot get any sort of consistency out of it. I've tried everything. Adjusting brightness, adjusting the exposure time, removing the color wheel, repositioning the model, thickening the points where the model meets the supports, more supports, two different resins...

I don't know what else to do! Do I need a more stable work area than my desk? Is slight jiggling what's been causing me so much trouble? Is the resin getting to warm? Has the FEP sheet been damaged somehow by the resin sticking?

hirenashra

Re: No Consistent Success - SOMEBODY HELP!!!

Postby hirenashra » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm having the same headache you are! The damn print just doesn't lift off the vat. I'm using both B9 Yellow and Makerjuice Waxcast. I've tried everything and about to give up. :cry:

Head-Zonk Studios

Postby Head-Zonk Studios » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:36 pm

hirenashra

Postby hirenashra » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 am

Head-Zonk Studios

Postby Head-Zonk Studios » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:11 pm

I do not think anything is left at the default settings. My settings are as follows:
Configure Machine.PNG

Configure Slicing.PNG

The mask is an image used to filter out a measure of the light in certain areas of the projected images. Look at these threads here, they explain it better than I can. It's basically a means of making the light distribution a little more even.

I think I've had some improvement using the mask, but it's creating these weird scan lines. I can see the lines in the projected image when it's blown up, and now because of the super high reactivity of the FTD resin, the prints are picking up a subtle wavy surface.

Worse still, I am now facing some really, really bad exposure bleed, as have other FTD users.

It's most pronounced in the areas where the supports connect to the model, and really just any area where things are getting bigger as the print builds. I might be able to file things out for these pieces, but really, these pieces were made to fit closely together. I need things to be exact, not just for this, but for future projects.
I thought about lowering the exposure time, but I'm afraid it won't cure enough to peel off the vat. I'm thinking I need to add more pigment to the resin to increase the light absorption.

hirenashra

Postby hirenashra » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm

I've tried all day to get a print and still no joy.

I'm thinking it could be because of the close up lens i added. I used it so that I could use more of the build plate. The Acer P1500 doesn't focus well at the top. Now what might be happening is the UV light bending causing dead spots.

The mask will be useful on this occasion. HTL has some software he created for such a purpose.

https://flexvat.com/pages/diy-and-techn ... %20Program

Interestingly enough, I've used FTD black and I got a successful print out of it. Probably the only time I did! 8-)

Have you tried other resins?

Head-Zonk Studios

Postby Head-Zonk Studios » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:44 pm

The only other and first resin I've used is MakerJuice SF Red. I got it because it was relatively cheap and the reviews and print results looked good.

However, shortly after using some of it, I found out that it does not play nice with platinum cure silicone. Which given what I do, makes it mostly useless to me. Which led me to MadeSolid's stuff (who of which I think is currently going under business reconstruction) but couldn't get any of that, so I went with FTD. I originally wanted Snow White, but everyone was sold out. So I got black.

I'm about to run a test print with about half the cure time (1250 -> 500) and without the mask. The more I read about this stuff, the more it seems like this stuff is even more sensitive than I thought. This stuff is supposed to work and make clean prints without adding more pigment and other people have had success, so there's most likely some optimum combination of settings that I just haven't hit yet.

My projector is a Viewsonic PJD7820HD, stock lens, with a modified color wheel Maybe try putting the original stock lens on. If I remember correctly, the P1500 was one of the two models that needed no modification to use.

EDIT: I WAS RIGHT. The makers of the resin posted some calibration tips, among other things. This should help a lot.

ANOTHER EDIT: and a