Silicone molding printed parts

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CaptainBisquick
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Silicone molding printed parts

Postby CaptainBisquick » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:39 am

Makerjuice resin prevents Smooth-On silicone from curing when they touch. Even when very well cured. Does anyone have a good workaround?

Mario

Re: Silicone molding printed parts

Postby Mario » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:07 am

I think, you must use condensation-cure silicone. Additition-cure silicones not working with UV resin (sulfur inhibits polimerisation).

dangre

Postby dangre » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:40 am

Platinum based silicone will inhibit with MakerJuice. Tin based works just fine. We have good success with the High Strength series:
https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/920-A ... gth-2.aspx
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

cew

Postby cew » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:40 pm

I've also found most dlp resins can inhibit platinum cure silicones. However I still use these a lot for rapid prototyping of small silicone components. There are some workarounds that can help:

Overcure the resin as mentioned above. Typically we double the normal UV cure then do a thorough thermal cure.
Clean the mold surface with an isopropyl wipe to remove any surface residue traces and dry
Coat silicone friendly mold release. For example a couple of coats of Mann Ease 200 works well.

Nb the mold surface can also be painted with car acrylic clear coat and heat cured at 60C for a very tough low inhibition surface

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:29 am

Low temperature vulcanising silicone rubber (~75C) eg Castaldo VLT. Not great on delicate parts, but with care gives some good results. Mould release is helpful too - as is the long cure suggestion.
Peter

LittleRP, H6510BD projector, Rhino 5.0, Rhinogold
https://www.facebook.com/BondDesigns

dangre

Postby dangre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 am

Do not use enamel paint for sealing parts as it will inhibit Platinum based silicone. As long as the UV resin is fully cured (no outgassing) it should work.
Inibition test.JPG
Inhibition test with Platinum based silicone, Alumilite
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

Head-Zonk Studios

Postby Head-Zonk Studios » Wed May 25, 2016 9:11 pm

So which is it? Do you need to use a different resin, or do you just have to UV bake MajerJuice prints a little longer?
Also, which silicone are you using? I've been using Sorta-Clear for my projects.

I need to know too, as making molds of my prints is vital to the projects I have in mind.

cygnusra

Postby cygnusra » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:29 pm

The guy at the place I go to for molding and casting supplies recommended this for using 3D printed parts as a mold positive:

XTC-3D® is a protective coating for smoothing and finishing 3D printed parts. Two liquids are mixed together and brushed onto any 3D print.

XTC.hero.01Coating self-levels and wets out uniformly without leaving brush strokes. Working time is 10 minutes and cure time is about 4 hours (depending on mass and temperature). XTC-3D® cures to a hard, impact resistant coating that can be sanded, primed and painted. Adding colors and metal effects is easy.

Inexpensive to Use: 1 oz covers 100+ square inches.

90% Time & Labor Savings: XTC-3D® fills in 3D print striations and creates a smooth, high gloss finish. The need to post finish is almost eliminated.

Coat any 3D Print Surface: XTC-3D® can be applied to both SLA and SLS prints. It works with PLA, ABS, Laywoo, Powder Printed Parts and other rigid media. It also can be used to coat EPS, EPDM and urethane foam as well as wood, plaster, fabric, cardboard and paper.

XTC-3D® does not contain VOC’s, phthalates or phosphates.

http://www.reynoldsam.com/new-xtc-3d-pe ... ing-epoxy/
http://www.reynoldsam.com/product/xtc-3d/