FEP vat for the LittleRP?

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
EtherBunny
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: FEP vat for the LittleRP?

Postby EtherBunny » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Awesome! thank you so much! order made MUWAHAHAHA MUST MAKE ALL THE THINGS!

DanOrgan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby DanOrgan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:30 am

Hi! Anyone using this vat now? Is it good for big-sized prints? Some examples? Any problems with geometry of models?
I can't choose between tilt kit and FEP vat.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:58 pm

I would say petri would be preferred for small prints where ease of cleanup is preferred, or you are switching between different materials quickly as removing / cleaning the flex vat will be more of a chore. The petri's are also a good choice when you want to print with a very small amount of resin.

The flex vat is also a little riskier because pin holes in the fep / damage etc. with the current design can result in result leaks. Having an acrylic window below the fep vat should solve this though.

Performance wise the fep vat should be superior in both terms of separation and speed of printing when printing objects that require a separation technique.

I see fep as preferred over the tilt option but not necessarily replacing the regular petris for small prints / ease of use. The image plane is also raised with the tilt / fep options so your x/y resolution will decrease a little but likely not noticeably.

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:46 pm

The biggest problem I have with the PDMS is the rate of degradation - but I'm printing fine detail (jewellery) and the structures can be a bit of a pig without overexposing slightly.

Just set up my FEP vat from HTL - really nicely finished kit - and I'm having some issues getting the build to adhere to the build plate.
Best guess is either a) the build plate was rough enough to pull from PDMS but needs more abrasion with the FEP or
b) the FEP is stretching slightly when the build plate is pressed into it and so the first layers never make contact.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Peter

LittleRP, H6510BD projector, Rhino 5.0, Rhinogold
https://www.facebook.com/BondDesigns

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Peter:

Expose the very first layer for a very long time. I've done up to a minute on my very first layer. The FEP can handle this btw.

Shane
Research Chemist

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:51 pm

Ah, option C :)
Thanks Shane - bloody fast response!

Of course, it might also have helped had I noticed the cal block wasn't actually on the base of the build - seems I've been getting away with squashing the PDMS... 10 layers @ 7700ms, first one was blank but I hadn't noticed.

I can see the FEP film releasing the print, so that looks like it's solved it; thanks again.
Peter

Wonderdog

Postby Wonderdog » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:12 am

Really looking forward to getting mine - how long does shipping normally take? This f2d deep black is wrecking PDMS, even at lower exposure times.

#Wonderdog

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:29 am

Purchased 25/7, shipped 30/7, arrived 4/8 or 5/8.
As previously mentioned, the base of the vat being further off the baseplate makes for a larger build area than the petri dishes and a corresponding loss of resolution. In my case I've gone from about 32u x/y to 39u x/y, which is still probably good enough for my needs.
Peter

Wonderdog

Postby Wonderdog » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Shouldnt be an issue for me either - I was sitting at about 39u x/y already, and it was more than enough. I could probably go to 50 without any issues.

How long is the FEP likely to last? I bought 4 sets of film and gaskets...

Wonderdog

Postby Wonderdog » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:07 pm

FEB vat arrived - going to have a go at installing it this weekend.

Anyone got any advice on cleaning the FEP vat between uses?