Z Motor not working [SOLVED]

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
That_Guy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Z Motor not working [SOLVED]

Postby That_Guy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:36 pm

Hey all,

I got my littleRP working on my normal PC but then decided to make a bit of a print server since I have another printer but now the z motor won't do anything.
Once I connect, I can't make the lead screw turn at all. not by physical force or by using the buttons in CW.

Any ideas?
Last edited by That_Guy on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PomeroyB

Re: Z Motor not working

Postby PomeroyB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Scatterplot

Postby Scatterplot » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:35 pm

If you can't move the leadscrew with the system totally unplugged, you have a hardware jam.

That_Guy

Postby That_Guy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:42 pm

I was able to print fine my other computer but since I have 3 printers, soon to be 6(yay kickstarter :)), I wanted a dedicated pc for them.

I can move the motor manually:
- when it's not plugged in at all, smoothly
- when the power is in and no usb, smoothly
- then the usb is in and the power isn't, it is more difficult and sort of jumps
- when both are plugged in I can't move it at all.

I was able to print fine my other computer.

I'm on 9600 baud - I've checked the com port in device manager and the baud rate in CW.

any other ideas?
Last edited by That_Guy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scatterplot

Postby Scatterplot » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:02 pm

See if you can talk to it through a terminal program instead of CW. That will let you isolate whether it's a CW configuration problem or a hardware configuration problem.

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:02 pm

That_Guy

Postby That_Guy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:12 am

Yep, definitely plugged into the shield power.
Not sure how to use a terminal program but I'll try have a go and see if I can figure it out
Also, the motor gets really hot

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:06 pm

Do you have any additional stepper nema17 reprap style motors you can plug into the port to try? Make sure there is nothing plugged into the board when you plug in / unplug a motor, no power or usb etc.

Can you take a picture of the potentiometer position on the blue driver board on the shield?

In certain configurations the motor can be hard to move.

That_Guy

Postby That_Guy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm too retarded to figure out the terminal vibes, tried a different stepper but didn't figure that I'd need to change the driver pot cos I didn't change it when I moved the printer.

I re-flashed the firmware and everything works now :)
used this tool:
http://xloader.russemotto.com/
and this firmware:
https://github.com/downloads/grbl/grbl/ ... z_9600.hex
as supplied in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2088

TheConjuror

Re: Z Motor not working [SOLVED]

Postby TheConjuror » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:56 pm