FTD (FunToDo) resins on LittleRP?

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
hp_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: FTD (FunToDo) resins on LittleRP?

Postby hp_ » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Dr. Woo,

here is my youtube clip using funtodo standard blend with an acer P1500.

the optimal curing times are really dependend on for example the distance to the vat bottom. the closer the faster.

cheers,
hp_

goopyplastic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby goopyplastic » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:00 pm

The B9(c) forums will likely be of much help also, the LittleRP is very similar in requirements to the B9(c) Creator in the 50micron xy setting.

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 am

How are you getting on with the FTD resin?

I've got a bottle of industrial red (with a couple of extra pots of pigment); so far I'm not getting any good results - I suspect light bleed is an issue. Finer detail is lost at 1s layer exposure time, but at 800ms it doesn't have the strength in 2x1mm sections to pull from the PDMS. I'll pester FTD directly as well, but I wondered if there was any LittleRP-specific experience.
Peter

LittleRP, H6510BD projector, Rhino 5.0, Rhinogold
https://www.facebook.com/BondDesigns

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:52 am

I haven't heard anything yet, from the b9 forums it seems like FTD might be sitckier / less pdms friendly than other resins which wouldn't be a great sign.
You can try lowering the projector brightness to 25% and doubling the cure time to see if a slower cure helps.

deadmeat30

Postby deadmeat30 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:56 pm

I was looking to order some of this to have a play around with. Still might do. Sounds interesting stuff!

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Current recommendation from Danny @ FTD is add more pigment, so I'll mix some in and do another test. I think this one comes out part-cured and is reliant upon the post-cure process to finish, rather than e.g. SF which seems pretty well cured once exposed.
Peter

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:26 am

Progress.

I'm currently using 14 drops of pigment (supplied by Danny) per 30ml of resin; I've reduced the power on the projector from 50 to 25 and switched to 35u layers. Currently using 1900ms per layer (2400ms base); no antialiasing. Post-cure was 10 mins in the ultrasonic @ 35C (with a jewellery cleaner), 1 hour under UV and then oven-baked @60C for about 45mins.

Not a great micrograph, depth of field is pretty bad with this USB scope but it's not exactly an expensive one (if I really need a decent micrograph then the Nikon scope is what I use, but this is good for grab shots).

The beads for the stones are 0.5mm. There's some odd ripples that aren't stair-steps on the underside of the ring and TBH the edges of the rails are not as crisp as the same model from a Projet 1200, but it's probably good enough for casting purposes.
Peter

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:22 am

Why are you oven-baking them @ 60°C? AFAIK the FTD resins don't have a cationic component. Or are you doing that to get rid of the moisture in the part?
Last edited by sgraber on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Research Chemist

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:52 am

Peter

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:06 pm

It looks like you're overcuring your part just a bit... If you drop your exposure time, you should see less of the uneven layers.