Just Starting out

Take some time to introduce yourself!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Just Starting out

Postby Pie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38 pm

Hello world.

I'm going to try to build a DLP printer. I'm still in the process of gathering the materials. Here is what I have so far:

DLP projector Toshiba TDP-T100 (used and abused, but functional) I haven't opened it up yet to get the UV filter out, or change the lens
Ramps 1.4 board, Mega, steppers, and one nema 17
an assembled 3d printed Z axis (printed on my craigslist reprap). http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19185 (scribbleJ)

I have some pieces of 4"x4" float glass. I was thinking they may work for the bottom of the vat. (although I may go se the glass guy tomorrow).

I realize I have a long way to go: I plan on formulating my own resin (any tips?)
I was wondering if there is any way to avoid building a tilt/slide mechanism. Has anyone ever tried to use silicone liner chemistry on the vat? I was thinking a platinum cured SiH-Vinyl easy release chemistry with some vinyl siloxane to promote anchorage to glass.

The other option for the vat I was considering trying was optically clear PET release liner. It would allow the bottom of the vat to flex when the stage is pulled up. I just don't think it will be flat enough.

I just wanted to say hi tonight. I look forward to my new printer. :)

johnrpm

Re: Just Starting out

Postby johnrpm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:01 am

Welcome pie, most of us are building our printers and still learning, seems that
there is no proper way to do it yet, we are still learning the best way.

I have seen a vat that simply has hinges with no actuator, the Z lifts it through suction
and the vat drops when suction breaks, this seem simple and reliable.

If you have some knowledge of chemistry, that would be great.
Random Precision

Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 am

I have some knowledge of chemistry. I've got a BS in chemistry, BS in chemical engineering, and I'm 3 credits from a masters in chemistry. I'll be able to understand and formulate easily once I get a testing rig set up. I also work in a lab all day.

Does anyone here have a formuations for the resin as a starting point? I see alot of people are using makerjuice: SubG and SubG+. I just ordered some SubG+. I figure I can use it to set up and test my printer. Does anyone have an SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for SubG+?

258cj7

Postby 258cj7 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:27 am

Hello Pie,
I have a passive tilt vat like johnrpm described. It seems to work very well. After the first few layers I only have to lift the z 1/8" to get a good separation.
As for the vat I'm using double thick float glass with a Sylgard 184 coating. It room temp cures in about 24 hrs or you can pop it in the oven and cure it in about 40 minutes.

If you have about 8 minutes to kill, I have a video of it here.

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Resin stuff, may help. http://3dprinter.wikidot.com/photoactive-resins#toc4

Sorry 258cj7, yours was the vat I was thinking of
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Forming UV resin Coatings:
also

James

Postby James » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:52 am

Hi Pie, welcome to the forum. :)

Looks like you're well on your way with the construction of your printer!

A good area to do research in, as far as photo curable resins are concerned in regards to the maker crowd, is resins that will burn out well for lost wax casting. This would be a good area to go in if you were thinking of doing something commercial later on. Currently, I feel that anyone who works in the area of photo curable resins in a commercial way for the maker crowd market will be millionaires in five years time. It's just a drop in the bucket now, but I feel within two years time the market will turn outrageously lucrative as everyone gets their hands on SLA machines of various types! :D
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)