New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Take some time to introduce yourself!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby Phife » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Hello,

I just joined this group and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Nick and I am building a LCD based 3D printer. I have several years building and designing all sorts of machine and prototypes.

I will be using a LCD as a mask instead of the DLP chip that the DLP projector based printers use. Ive spent the last year testing, designing, and going through several prototypes.

Ive gotten to the point where I can print but Im still having a few issues to work out, mostly part release and light uniformity across the LCD.

Ive redesigned the machine now and hope I'll solve those issues with this latest version (V5). I plan on keeping this project open source and possibly selling the machine as a kit for the DIY guys. its heart is a 20" monochrome LCD, I was using a custom coral 400w MH bulb with a reflector and fresnel lens but Im switching to a new LED array with optics. I just cant get enough uniformity over the large LCD surface. I can print fine in the center of the LCD but near the sides its too dim to cure resin properly.

I will be posting more information in the other forum sections when I have more to show. If anyone has any questions, comments or anything they'd like to say please feel free to ask.

I look forward to sharing and learning along with all of you. Ive caught the 3D Printing bug and hope to make it a big part of my future.
Big thanks to Pacmanfan for his forum and his amazing CW software! I couldnt have gotten this far with out your help!

Nick aka Phife

johnrpm

Re: New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby johnrpm » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:19 pm

You are very welcome Nick, LCD's are plentifull and cheap from old monitors, so please keep posting your work, I think one other
member is working with lcd.

Yes we are lucky to get such a nice piece of software, it means we do not have to mess around to get our printers running
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: New Builder - LCD Based 3D Printer - Introduction

Postby PacManFan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Nick!
Glad to have you here on the forums. I'm doing some additional research regarding LCD's based on our previous emails. I think your best bet at this point is to find (or make) a resin which cures at frequency that the LCD's can pass through more easily than the 400-405nm UV LEDs. Either that, or find(or modify) a polarizer that allows more of the UV light to pass through. I really like the idea of large-format SLA machines, and I think LCD's are a great approach.
-S