Kast 3DP (LCD Based?)

Post, review and discuss any commercial machines. Try to include links, specifications and prices.
Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kast 3DP (LCD Based?)

Postby Phife » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Im not really doubting their speed, I can nearly do that fast if I can do a quicker release. You can cure resin on my monochrome LCD to 0.1mm in about 1-1.5 seconds if you really crank up the wattage on the LED's

Im skeptical as to the models and printed parts they have shown so far.. on 3ders they have a picture of a lens that was supposedly printed on the machine.. Ive yet to see any machine (minus the very expensive and high tech luxexcel) that can produce perfectly clear lenses, How do they do it if its printing in layers? there is a defined XY resolution of 96 microns, there should be clearly visible steps or layers on the lens surface.

Also, Ive only seen renderings of the machine, never an actual machine, and the other printed parts are just the same parts they have shown several months ago. You're telling me that in 5 months since they announced it they haven't printed any more sample parts?

Perhaps they are holding back till the kickstarter campaign, but something just doesn't seem right. Hopefully they will clear that up soon. I'd love to get my hands on one.

Liquid Garden
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Liquid Garden » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:28 am

It says, "even printed lenses should be possible..." I highly doubt they printed that actual lens.

I wonder how they handle their peeling?

dangre

Postby dangre » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:55 am

Yes, I cast lenses out of resin and even with a polished mold it is hard to get a lens that optically clear. These techniques all use pixels to mask the UV light and I can only imagine just how small these pixels would have to be to make an optically clear lens. Even with pixel shifting or such...
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:16 am

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:11 pm

I see nothing in that spec sheet that says its not a flex vat..

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:22 am

Sorry, I read too fast, I saw glass, but it's the build platform.

But their vat is cylindrical, that's probably awkward to flex I guess.

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Very easy to announce your new 3d printer coming soon. An order of magnitude harder to deliver the printer. And then an order of magnitude harder to deliver a GOOD working product. That puts the ratio of announced printers to successful delivered printers at about 1/100. Which is pretty close to the number you see in practice.

Form labs has a good team, and a large amount of capital. Still a huge struggle and basically admitting failures with the first product by announcing the Form 1+. The devil is in the details.

Still, I can't wait to start printing the lens for that 8" refractor I have been wanting to build. Go Kast!!!!