Possible pdms vat refresh method

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
sgraber

Re: Possible pdms vat refresh method

Postby sgraber » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm trying to use the scientific method to find what works and what doesn't. If the pressure pot is not needed, why do it? I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong and unfortunately I think we're getting off on the wrong foot here... :(

I read the paper on PDMS swelling based on solvent-type (http://gmwgroup.unix.fas.harvard.edu/pubs/pdf/899.pdf) and think that resin/monomer swell has some merit (acrylate monomers migrating into the PDMS causing stickage) and subsequent de-swelling using IPA / vacuum chamber could be the key factor.
Research Chemist

sitzme
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby sitzme » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm

This is an interesting discussion. I hope that the experiments do get conducted and lead to either an improved method of working with the PDMS layer or possibly an alternate material/method. No alternate material has been mentioned yet in this thread though. The best solution will likely be a compromise between theory and practice, I am glad that we have another expert in the field weighing in. I would conduct the experiment but am not able to at this time.

Given the information shared so far, I will probably modify my practices since I now frequently leave the resin in the vat between prints.

salukikev

Postby salukikev » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:26 am

This is a 7 month old post I'm replying to.. I realize, however it was kind of left up in the air.. like reading a book with the last few pages ripped out. Did anyone follow up on the results of these tests?
Honestly, I'm with Shane on this one- I don't see anything but a pursuit of the scientific method. No need for HTL to take offense to some analysis. We're all just looking for some data to progress with our collective goals of better print results.
HTL- if you still see these posts, I'd love to learn if this test was repeated and with what results vs. what control experiment. Please don't feel defensive just because other members are testing your hypothesis along with all the other theories posted to this lovely community.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable