Vat Sizes of Interest

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
AndersonTa

Vat Sizes of Interest

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:54 am

What would folks like to see in term of vat sizes for their custom DLP builds? I notice that no one has really stepped up to offer vats for the DLP/resin market yet, and seeing as I just got a large laser cutter, I'd like to step up and get vats out there and more folks building.

I want to start with the standard vats and PDMS, but I do have plans to offer flex vats w/ FEP when a design of interest pans out.

Let me know what you all want!
@AndersonHTa

Kvirre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Vat Sizes of Interest

Postby Kvirre » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:48 am

Sounds great!

For me it would be something close to (or bigger then) [20x11] cm
I would buy one, given the opportunity.

Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phife » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:29 am

what material are you planning on making the vats out of?

dangre

Postby dangre » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 am

As I was designing my own version of a flex vat I always wondered why current vats are dimensioned the way they were. I use a HD projector (1920x1080) and I always have mine set at 100um so I 'only' need 192mm x 108mm. But I 'might' want to do 150um? I'm just typing my thoughts out loud as I too am curious what others feel about this. I personally would not go back to PDMS as I love my flex FEP vat. I'm too lazy to redesign/finish my version so would be interested in a 300+mm x 180+mm flex vat.
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:22 pm

The vats would be cut on a laser cutter, so most likely acrylic..for now :). Also trying to sniff out a CNC router with a stronger spindle.

I was also thinking of building around the 100 micron mark for a 1080P projector, at least then we are always ahead of most other 3DP technologies especially FFF and some of the more standard SLA builds.

If folks have designs that they'd want, they can send them over to be cut too.
@AndersonHTa

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Ive made most of my vats on my epilog laser cutter out of acrylic. 1/4" mostly. I find that acrylic isnt the best choice, ive had many flex vats crack in places due to the forces of the tensioned FEP and the release forces. Also, I like using Isopropyl alcohol to clean my vat/fep and acrylic doesnt like iso, it will crack and craze. Im using Polycarbonate now with much better success. Im working on an aluminum vat next, made on my CNC mill.

hp_

Postby hp_ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm

hi Phife,

better not use polycarbonate, resin gets saturated by it..

my next try is hdpe..

hp

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Interesting, polycarbonate is usually UV blocking isn't it?

And sure, there are a lot of other materials to try, but given its availability, ease of fabrication and often more affordable price (at least from what I've been quoted), its kinda the best starting point to make vats for others. Not to mention that most resin printers supply an acrylic vat with their printers.

I also agree that acrylic would not be a good choice to make your entire Flex vat out of, that's why I was planning to stick with PDMS/FEP adhesive film coated vats to start.

As for the crazing, I've had varying experiences, some vats I have do craze, but others don't. Anyone have any ideas on what maybe the variability?

This is more about feeling out interests for vat sizes and increasing the availability of them, not which vat design is best and what materials is optimal for individuals specific needs. I strongly encourage others to start a separate thread to discuss such things.
@AndersonHTa

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Please elaborate, how does resin get saturated by polycarb? I havent noticed any problems with it thus far..

The reason for using acrylic or polycarb is because its clear can we can see the build progress easier.

Im my experience, I find cast acrylic less prone to cracking and crazing, extruded acrylic always cracks.

dangre

Postby dangre » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:05 am

If I remember correctly, it is the stress risers from acrylic that fracture when exposed to alcohol. Sanded and polished edges are not as prone to cracking. That would explain why cast holds up better than extruded. I was told never to have alcohol touch acrylic but it is neccessary to clean the vat. My flex vat was made of UHMW with the stretching mechanism made of 1/8" acrylic I cut with my laser. I also sandwich the FEP to the UHMW with an acrylic frame that has cracked around the bolt holes. I do like the clear stretching frame as it allows me to see inside the vat.
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP