Noob Question About Curing & DLPs

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drewbacca
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Noob Question About Curing & DLPs

Postby drewbacca » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:04 am

I am coming from FDM printing so bear with me when I say that I am a noob. Anyways I was reading up on DLP printing and I am fascinated with the technology and how it works. I just can't wrap my head around the curing process.

I get its a photo-sensitive resin that cures at ~350-450nm wavelengths, and that arc projectors can output those UV numbers. My question is, if the process is halfway through printing a hollow sphere, for example, how does the projector focus and cure only the object needed and none of the liquid resin between the projected image and WIP sphere.

explaining.png

Thank you :)

Bogus

Re: Noob Question About Curing & DLPs

Postby Bogus » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:20 pm

DLP is layer based and the layer being cured is at either the very top or bottom of the vat, whichever is closest to the incoming light. The part is attached to a platform that moves along the Z axis, so after a layer is cured the part moves up (or down) so there's a fresh film of liquid resin ready for the next layer.

drewbacca

Re: Noob Question About Curing & DLPs

Postby drewbacca » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:59 am

Ah it makes sense to me now, I never understood why they move up and down in the Z.

Thank you