Converting a FDM delta printer (Kossel style custom build)

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tehfailsafe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Converting a FDM delta printer (Kossel style custom build)

Postby tehfailsafe » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:23 pm

So I built a delta FDM printer, and am a bit bummed at the print quality, speed, and problems in general with FDM printing.
I was looking at buying an SLA printer (DLP) and realized that apart from the project, I already have most all the parts I would need (lots of 2020 extrusion, nema 17 stepper motors, controller board, microswitches, etc...

So it got me to thinking, what would I need to do to convert this FDM printer into an SLA printer?

In fact, I wonder how much I even need to change? Currently I have 3 stepper motors controlling the Z movement. When all 3 motors move the same amound the effector moves perfectly up and down. I simply need to not move in the XY to get the Z axis working for an SLA machine... I use magnetic rods and ball joints for the effector plate, so I could actually just pop that off easily and attach a new (printed) platform.

One thing I'm unsure of is firmware supporting all 3 motors moving in unison, rather than supporting the XY movement I have now. Can I just wire all 3 motors to the single Z pin out and change firmware? I am using a azteeg x5 mini board right now, but have access to printrboards, ramps, etc.

It would be incredibly cool to be able to have a magnetic rod end for the build plate and just put a vat down on top of my glass, rewire a couple things and switch from FDM and SLA. I could even go back and forth if I ever wanted...

I know I'm probably missing some major pieces to this, but is the idea sound?