Noob question

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
fatesalign
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Noob question

Postby fatesalign » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:01 am

Hello everyone. This is probably a very simplified question, but I'm really wanting to see about building an inexpensive SLA printer, and really I was just wondering what you would consider the easiest yet most detailed build instructions are. I found one that costs as little as $60, but it reauires quite a bit of modification to the projector etc. This may be a tall order, but i was just curious if anyone would know here. Thank you for any answers.

James

Re: Noob question

Postby James » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but to the best of my knowledge I think just about all of the SLA machines that use a DLP projector require, at the very least, a modification of the lens so as to enable focusing at close range. Another common modification is the removal of the color wheel as well as any ultraviolet filters one can find in the light path. For some models the color wheel cannot simply be unscrewed and unplugged to remove it since they are sometimes tied into the microcontroller and if the microcontroller senses there is something wrong it can go into a shut down mode for safety reasons. In those cases one needs to remove the glass color wheel via some method and leave the motor connected to the microcontroller. Another modification that is less commonly done is to remove the lamp and replace it with a high power LED. This usually requires extensive work to trick the microcontroller into thinking the lamp is still in there and running perfectly.

What a lot of people do is just get some cheap used projector from eBay or Craigslist and then take it apart and figure out what needs to be done to get it to work.

There is one DLP projector that I know of that is specifically designed to work in a SLA 3D printer and that is the . Awfully expensive though for only 912x1140 native resolution. Expensive, but one can order it in various focal length and LED options and it would require no modifications.

As for comprehensive instructions, I don't know of any. Perhaps one of the other forum members might know of a good set of instructions.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

dangre

Postby dangre » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:08 am

There are lots of projectors out there that need NO modifications. The mUVe recommends:
ViewSonic 1920×1080 PJD7820HD
ViewSonic 1280×800 PJD5533W
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

James

Postby James » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:39 am

Oh great! That's good to know! The easer it gets the more people will get involved and that will make our hobby more enjoyable. :)
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)