Experimental FDM/SLA printer

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mattberg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Experimental FDM/SLA printer

Postby mattberg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Hey guys so I have a crazy idea, please tell me if this is completely stupid because I'm no engineer.

I work at a 3D printing startup that sells FDM printers, and am constantly building and taking them apart. I had the crazy idea of trying to convert one of these into an SLA printer. I want to try to replace the nozzle with a laser instead of using a galvo system, and go for a top-down style SLA with custom G-code to move the plate up and down into the vat of resin. Does this seem possible at all? Or would it just create nightmarish problems with bulging and not sticking to the plate? I don't really know of any top-down slas but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also is there a way to trigger the laser on/off using the extruder motor on/off? Or would there be voltage issues?

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Experimental FDM/SLA printer

Postby PacManFan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Look at the mUVe project by Dean Piper . He's done just that. He recently moved into DLP printers for a number of reasons, but he still sells the Laser X/Y based machines.

mattberg

Re: Experimental FDM/SLA printer

Postby mattberg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Ah okay! Thanks pacmanfan!