FEP vat challenge

Various topics related to Vat design, construction and coatings.
jalessi

Re: FEP vat challenge

Postby jalessi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:42 pm

crane3d,

Are you aware of the fact that USPS Priority Mail includes $50.00 insurance with every package?

Are you aware of the fact that the shipper is not responsible for damage that occurs once the package is processed by the Post Office?

Please, instead making multiple littering posts with offensive, derogatory language go to the USPS "Post Office" and report the damage.

The Post Office will issue you a check in short order!

Jeff...

dangre

Re: FEP vat challenge

Postby dangre » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:22 am

crane,

I am a very happy customer of HTL and he has only given me excellent service and products.

As a business manager who sends out hundreds of packages everyday we see poor shipping services from all the major carriers and spend a great deal of our time 'fixing' issues that have nothing to do with our packaging. Don't even get me started with all the excuses the shipping companies have for their failures. Your immature tone of voice speaks worlds of explanation. The world is not a perfect place and it is so easy to blame others without knowing all the facts. I wish others could just take a breath of fresh air and not expect instant gratification all the time. We have had to install specific return policies due to the fact of customers trying to scam us with bogus return issues.

HTL, I know it is hard but don't take the outlier, disgruntled customers personally. I will continue to be a happy and patient customer...
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

abk101095

Re: My answer to the FEP vat challenge

Postby abk101095 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:20 am

klambson wrote:Hello, I've attached a diagram of the flexvat I've built with the material HTL sent me. Before I get into the details, my gratitude and hat-tip to that gentleman...he's been very generous in his contributions to help further the DLP printing revolution.

The graphic and pix should explain most of it. Here are my notes:
Made with the smaller diameter and bell-end (although a coupling fitting would work as well) of 8” blue PVC, approximately 1/4” thick wall. The “outer ring” is cut in sections, heated and conformed to the inner ring before being glued. It serves to bulk-up the clamp section. I used one-part silicone sealant as a gasket material, but there may be better materials for this. My design goals: no laser cutting, simple machining, hardware store parts (the tensioning clamp is a mirror bracket I modified), use both sides of FEP without having to dismantle completely, easy tensioning, no center sag, future modification: rotate vat with each layer, possibly as part of the peel or to promote even wear...

lambson flexvat design.jpg

flex vat and first prints.jpg

Plans for version 2: rather than outer tabs for the bolts, I'll use much longer sections for better surface-area adhesion to the inner clamp ring and greater surface area for gasket material to hold the FEP. I'll also add more bolts for more even tension pressure (I've got 8 total, with all 8 clamping the FEP and half those serving to hold down the tension ring.) Investigate effective lids for vat for resin storage...will help to reduce labor and resin waste that occurs from frequent cleaning.

I like the round design; it offers a greater reservoir volume. Was getting unreliable prints until I added a circular piece of 0.10" acrylic with gentle foam "springs" pushing it up against the bottom of the FEP/tensioning descender. Also, I drilled small vent holes in the acrylic so when the FEP is drawn up as the build platform raises, the vacuum, if any, is released.

I am working on a DLP printer too and using FEP(0.025mm thick) sheet as a release layer supported by acrylic sheet below it.But air does get trapped between the FEP and acrylic and it gets reflected in the printed part and affects the print quality.I saw your post for venting holes in acrylic sheet to remove the air between the two, how much was that effective?can you explain me, you using acrylic below FEP, how is it a flexvat then? I feel, flex vat is a VAT with just a tensioned sheet of FEP used as a base. Do we necessarily need a peeling mechanism for this set up? no peeling mechanism used currently.