Glycerin is the way to go for top-down

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
odino
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Glycerin is the way to go for top-down

Postby odino » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:59 am

what kind of glycerin did you buy?
On the web I've find glycerin for alimentar use.

Zenon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zenon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:59 pm

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:12 am

Hi there. For now I gave up glycerin. It's not that it didn't work but it made things more complicated. I'm going to stick to a 2liter container and just top it with more resin. When I run out of resin I add glycerin but I don't think the price is that high nowerdays not to always keep an extra bottle for topping.
Otherwise I will experiment some more as I do want a perfect cheap solution that easily separates from the resin.

Ps: I bought 99.5% purity glicerin from a local store in my city. It is labeled "reactive glycerin for analysis"

Zenon

Postby Zenon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:25 am

Why did you give up on glycerin, how does it make things more complicated?

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:24 am

It's simple. I wanted to add some pigment into the resin. For that I have to remove the resin from there and put it in another container and do the pigmentation. After that put it back on the container. I did not like that at all, not at all :)
After that there were little bubbles of resin floating in the glycerin. Because they were very small they did not have enough power in them to beat the viscosity and move tot the top. Probably after a couple of hour whould have been ok but...

odino

Postby odino » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:11 am

Ahn soo sad reading that :\

I want to keep trying with glycerin and with sugar+water.

In the next days I'll make some test I think (water+sugar)

Zenon

Postby Zenon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:59 am

Didn't get around to testing glycerin with Epsom Salt, will probably have to wait till next weekend.

Concerning glycerin, when mixing ecig juice, I usually heat it up by running hot tap water (~70°C) over it before shaking, that makes a huge difference in viscosity. So you might want to experiment with heating the glycerin up, maybe for the whole print duration or just in the beginning to help it separate from the resin.

Zenon

Postby Zenon » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 am

We finally got around to doing some tests.

Resin used is FunToDo standard.

From left to right we have sugar water (about 100g of powdered sugar applied to 2dl of water, might want to give lower concentrations a true in the future), glycerin, table salt water, Epsom salt water, and regular water all the way on the right (just to catch drops from the spoon).

The links below the images are to bigger version. We didn't have the best camera on hand, so the pictures aren't great.

Everything settled:

Pictures directly after stirring:

15 minutes later:

Some impressions:

Sugar water: By far the worst, takes ages to separate and while I'm not sure if the gradient that forms is just pigment or tiny droplets of resin, I wouldn't recommend it. A little more vibration dampening than the water mixtures, a little less than Glycerin.

Glycerin: Initial separation is fairly quick, but you're left with a glycerin-resin boundary that's cloudy/has lots of little resin streaks going into the glycerin that take a long time to settle. Best vibration dampening.

Table salt: works nicely, fast and clear separation, only takes about 5-10 seconds to fully separate. Worst vibration dampening.

Epsom salt: Not sure what to make of this. Separation is fast, slightly faster than Table salt, and you get a really nice layer separation. But the water is left with a faint red color, which might be pigment. I couldn't make out individual resin droplets in it, so I have no clue what it is. Might also be small amounts of resin sticking to small salt crystals and "floating in mid-water". Same vibration dampening as water.

For now, I think I'm sticking with salt water, the difference to epsom salt is marginal at best and table salt is cheaper and easier to get.

We'll let the sample stay still for some weeks to see how they fair longterm.

And in case anyone is interested, the printer so far: . Already got the z-axis working with the arduino, so all that's left to do is adding a shutter, hooking everything up and calibrating. Hopefully we'll get our first prints next weekend.

odino

Postby odino » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Thank very much for all the images and the info ;)

Yeah I think I'll still continue to use salt water too.
The results are better.

Nice build to :D

James

Postby James » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks for taking the time to publish your results Zenon. Very interesting!
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)