Glycerin is the way to go for top-down

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
aurelm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Glycerin is the way to go for top-down

Postby aurelm » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi there. I just finished experimenting a print using resin floating on top of glycerin for top-down printing and I have to say it so far works like a charm. Compared to saltwater it has much higher viscosity (identical to the makerjuice resin) and therefore it is not prone to settling and movement problems. Also I think it does not seem to separate like water does from the salt. It does take a little more time to separate from the resin in case you need to stir or something but all in all if you do not want to use a lot of resin in a single tank this is I think the best way to go.
I will update in case something goes wrong over time.
Last edited by aurelm on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

odino
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Glycerin is the way to go for top-down

Postby odino » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Wow
me and my friend were talking about that today too :D

We are now working with salt water but we want to change into somenthing different!

let us know how it works :D

Zenon

Postby Zenon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:06 pm

Nice idea. I have a lot of glycerin left from my e-cig, so I'll give it a try once I finish my top-down printer.

Another thing I'll be experimenting with this weekend is magnesium sulfate/Epsom salt, which is heaver in solution than saltwater (1.4g/cm^3 vs. 1.2g/cm^3). Already bought the sulfate and the resin has arrived today, so I'll post on here once I can do some tests, and I'll also let it sit somewhere for a couple of weeks to see how it fares longterm.

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:53 am

odino

Postby odino » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:24 am

I was wondering if sugar-water solution could work to.
You can mix about 2kg of sugar into 1liter of water. You can obatain something similar to honey I think but more fluid.

Yesterday I have try to mix come sugar with water, and then put some drops of resin on it. It float very well :D
Was wondering if in long time sugar can react with the metal structure of the printer of with the resin itself

Zenon

Postby Zenon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:46 am

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:48 am

That wax suggestion seems very strange as from what I see wax has a much lowe density than water. Therefor it floats on top of the resin and not the other way around :)

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:52 am

Zenon

Postby Zenon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:49 am

Glycerin in ecigs evaporates at around 180°C and it stays put for a long time, at least that's been my experience concerning e-cig glycerin (I used some glycerin as lubricant for a electrical razor once when I didn't have WD40 handy, and that was just a couple of drops and lasted about a month).

The wax thing was something he mentioned in passing yesterday evening, so I haven't really given it much thought and haven't asked him about any specifics so far. There's a lot of different type of waxes (not only paraffin), so I'm not sure what kind he was talking about. The wax in lava lamps is heavier than water unless it is heated, so maybe it's something like that.

I'll check tomorrow how much Epsom salt can be dissolved in Glycerin and let you guys know. I found a table with the solubility of different salt in Glycerin, though that doesn't list Epsom salt (found here: ). Some sources mention it being partially soluble in Glycerin, but not how much of it is actually soluble. Those two things seems to indicate that Epsom salt should dissolve reasonably well in Glycerin.

aurelm

Postby aurelm » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:39 am

That is good news as it may be a liquid with the viscosity properties of glycerin but with bigger density making the resin much more easy to separate. I am woried that having such a high density (2.66 is enormous) the salt will go to the bottom very fast. However since glycerin already is heavier than the resin there would be no disaster waiting to happen :)

Keep us posted on what you find out.