Z-Wobble or Undercuring?

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cwmain
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Z-Wobble or Undercuring?

Postby cwmain » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:31 pm

I just completed my first print. Looks like i've still got a long way to go! Any suggestions on how to fix these artifacts? Or at least pinpointing the problem, I think it is either z-wobble or undercuring. Thanks!

PomeroyB

Re: Z-Wobble or Undercuring?

Postby PomeroyB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:40 pm

Definitely looks like Z wobble to me. Your aspect ratio of the projector is also very off... Marvin's looking a little thin!

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Definitely build plate wobble, undercuring wouldnt do that.

Can we have a look at your Z axis?

And yeah, like Pomeroy said, Your aspect ratio is off on your projector, marvin should be more round.

cwmain

Postby cwmain » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Haha, yeah I laughed at skinny Marvin when I saw the finished print! I'll work on that after this wobble is gone :D
Here is an album of my z-axis
I was considering putting on a flexible coupler, and I designed a sturdier anti backlash nut that I'm going to print tonight.
Any advice?

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Ah, you have a DropLit! I would check your slide rather than your "leadscrew" (And I use that in the loosest sense of the term). See if you can wobble your z stage by hand, and if you can, try tightening the wheels.

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:03 pm

It's z-wobble and platform wobble. The Droplits that I've seen are rather structurally unstable.
Research Chemist

cwmain

Postby cwmain » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks for the replies, I haven't had time fix the printer yet. I can see the build plate move side to side as it goes up and down. The wheels on the slide are tight, maybe too tight. The eccentric bushings are loosening every now and then too.

I will probably just rebuild the whole thing with aluminum extrusion after I get the hang of this. Or maybe just completely redo the z-axis with a leadscrew or ballscrew.

cwmain

Postby cwmain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:46 pm

I got a good print! I took the flexible coupling off of my Prusa and put it on this printer. The z-banding is gone. I adjusted the XandY by measuring the projection on the vat. Marvin is still just a little too skinny. To adjust x and y do am I supposed to measure the projection on the vat? or print a calibration obejct, like a cylinder, and measure that?

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:19 pm

Take a look at to see how to get your projector setup.

cwmain

Postby cwmain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 pm

Thank you, I'll get started on that