Casting With the LittleRP

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
JSmith172
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Casting With the LittleRP

Postby JSmith172 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:07 am

Hi all
i'm working on using the littleRP to cast and print rings, so far I been seeing a lot of hits and misses
for the resin I have been using a mixture of 1:1 of both b9 resins (cherry and red)
the burn out seen to be nice and with respects to that no problems so far, still waiting for pictures back from the gold smith
I have been using an exposure time of 20000 for the support layers and 17000 for the ring themselves, but for thinner rings I bring that down to 14000
the only problem I been having with this is the exposure wears the dishes out really fast
I have ordered the new madesolid casting resins and will post how I find that
I find the shrinkage to be pretty much spot on at 3.5%

JSmith172
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Casting With the LittleRP

Postby JSmith172 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:52 am

one of the prints
men's ring
Attachments
IMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4608.JPG
IMG_4607.JPG

JSmith172

Postby JSmith172 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 am

casted
Attachments
IMG_4612.JPG
IMG_4611.JPG

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:09 am

That does sound an incredibly long time for exposure - part of the reason I'm messing with the FTD resin at the moment.
Still, the results look good.

I wonder at times on how much we should worry about model surface finish - given the casting will leave a finish that needs to be polished off, do we need glass-smooth models to work with for small runs/one-offs?
Peter

LittleRP, H6510BD projector, Rhino 5.0, Rhinogold
https://www.facebook.com/BondDesigns

JSmith172

Postby JSmith172 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:43 am

I read somewhere that the typical times the b9 run are at 18 but im not sure the truth of it. I'm thinking I need to work on levelling my plate more since prints always fail on my left side and are great on my right

nicanor76

Postby nicanor76 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:29 pm

prints and casting parts looks really good!

JSmith172

Postby JSmith172 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:00 am

got some new castable resins to try out
will post soon :>
also if you have request of resins ill try my best to get it in

Kochen

Postby Kochen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Looks good..

I backed the LittleRP for jewelry making too so I will look forward to hear about the different castable resins.
Kochen, Denmark, Europe

smsla

Postby smsla » Mon May 18, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi,
The ring looks great. I was wondering if your 'gold smith' used your printed resin model and directly burned it out of the investment after prepping it, or did he/she use the resin print to create a vulcanized mold first, and therefore subsequently use wax duplicates to cast with? So the real question [and possible subsequent debate] is: If an artist is able to create a vulcanized mold with any resin -- why the hype over so-called 'CASTING' resins? Meaning that if I print a resin piece then vulcanize it -- then cut around the mold, and even into the resin and manage to create a usable vulcanized mold from ANY printable resin, and then inject some wax into the created mold and run off as many copies of the original as the mold will allow, why would I need to buy expensive Casting resins? Am I just purchasing this expensive goop so that I can burn out the printed resin with a kiln only if I wanted or needed to, vs running multiple copies of wax version using the vulcanized rubber route?

How MadeSolid CastSolid & Deep Red it burns... in my tests:
Also, I intended to add [just FYI for anyone] that when I tested the MadeSolid (MS) CastSolid resin along side the MS Deep Red, the CastSolid burned more like cardboard and almost appeared to be implosive, shrinking and still very ashy like a withered cardboard matchstick, but most certainly did not melt like wax or even PLA. When compared to the MS Deep Red burn, it was IMPRESSIVE indeed! The Deep Red burned like volatile plastic and really caught fire, and warped -- almost expanding a bit, unlike the CastSolid. Overall I am glad I purchased the CastSolid in case I'd like to use it for direct investment casting. Now I understand how it might perform in a rapidly heated kiln and burn out as desired. I'd like to hear other experiences, so bring it on people...Thanks in advance!!
Respectfully,
Steve H.
USA

cerriousdesign

Postby cerriousdesign » Mon May 18, 2015 11:32 pm

I have quite a bit of experience with making silicone molds and I can tell you that with some of the designs capable on on 3D printer that it would be impossible to make a decent mold. This spider ring I made, no way you could make a mold of this with the little legs, way to intricate, way to many holes, not possible. This is the reason for casting resins. I am in the process of making the spider ring in CastSolid right now and will cast it later this week.
spider_ring.jpg
spider_ring.jpg (10.6 KiB) Viewed 17944 times