Separating Build from Buildplate

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
maurice
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Separating Build from Buildplate

Postby maurice » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:04 am

I often experience issues when trying to remove a print from the buildplate, especially when it is a fragile print.
I ended up destroying a few :(

What tools / techniques do you guys use to do this?

SIDRANA
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Separating Build from Buildplate

Postby SIDRANA » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Hello Maurice;

I have been using the aluminum foil tape over the built plate. Sand it lightly, once the print is complete remove the tape first.

Warm Regards

Sid
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 7.56.33 AM.png

Scatterplot

Postby Scatterplot » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:16 pm

I usually use some sort of base layer on my stuff, which is thick and rigid enough that it'll pop off once I can get one edge started.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:43 pm

1) Bring the model attached to a buildplate over to a sink
2) Turn on the cold water and rinse both the build plate and model
3) Turn on the hot water until it gets VERY hot
4) Run the water over the back of the aluminum build plate but NOT the model

The model will simply fall off or slide off at this point. Explanation - the thermal expansion of the aluminum will cause the model to detach.

-Steve

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:55 pm

But don't forget to rinse your print and build plate in IPA before washing it in a sink... Chemicals down the drain is a big, fat, no-no!

maurice

Postby maurice » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Thank you Steve.

Also resin can cause traces in your sink that are very hard to wash off :/
In the meanwhile I also had a clue about using the method with different temperatures, as I used to separate glasses like this in my baarkeepin days.
So these seems to be the best solution , as I tried the aluminum tape, and it's very hard to get a good surface, and also
it's means more expenses in money and time.

Btw, is there anything special about the aluminum, or would the resin basically stick to every rough surface?

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:31 pm

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:37 pm

I use a small chisel tip, and the piece pops right off.
http://www.usbcopiers.com/3dprtokit.html
The flat one is what I use, you can generally find these rebranded for different purposes, carving etc.
I would imagine an xacto square blade, even a razor blade would work.
Once you raise a corner the whole print should pop off.

maurice

Postby maurice » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:36 am

I am using a scraper now, that I grinded so it's really sharp now.
I tried the method suggested by Steve, but I feel like it's very difficult to keep the build safe from the heat of the water, as the aluminium conducts heat pretty fast, and the resin can not take that much of heat.
But the scraper needs to be used very carefully, to not leave traces on the build (and very sharp).

I found an other method to make it easy to separate the build from the build plate: for the first one or two layers (depending on the layer height) you can set to focus to make a less sharp image.
This will create some kind of raft around the build, so it can be taken off very easy, and afterwards the raft can be taken off easily. Basically it helps the scraper to slide under the build.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Leaving marks on the build plate shouldn't be a problem, it will just give the next print more to hold on to :)