Retina iPad Display

This is the place to discuss DLP projectors, UV Lasers, Galvanometers, LCD screens and similar display devices. Also discussed are optics in general.
AndersonTa

Retina iPad Display

Postby AndersonTa » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:17 pm

Just wanted to move development stuff over to here and out of the "Introductions" section.

In summary so far, you can potentially use Retina iPad screens as a display for a SLA 3D printer.

Check out this auction for used screens for real cheap, $28. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271544450038?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Display controllers for the screens can be had here, http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=47

(both of these sources provided by dlpizzle)

For the LED arrays, Phife from the forums is selling some for $200 (thats the custom pcb, 410nm LEDs (80 of), lenses and LED driver. Message him if you are interested.

Depending on what you decide to do with the LED array, you will need a power supply. If you went with Phif'es, you will need at least 36V 6A supply. LED drivers can be bough separately as well, http://www.ebay.com/itm/261507927290?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think that should bring everyone up to speed with what some of us are setting up/running with in regards to iPad based systems.

Maybe one of the others can post photos on what they removed from the iPad screens in this thread too?
@AndersonHTa

dpizzle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Retina iPad Display

Postby dpizzle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am

I don't have much to add until I get my board from Phife. The only thing I can say is don't bother with removing the silver backing (and polarizer) from the ipad lcd. Using a piece of the polarizer without the coating, cure times seem to just reduce slightly. Not worth the trouble. I've got a new polarizer but haven't installed it yet. Maybe this new polarizer will let more light in, but I doubt it, I think they are all pretty much the same.

Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phife » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:49 am

I dont have any more LED's or Lenses in stock, I just sold out. So I will need at least 6 more panels ordered before I can go ahead with another batch. If anyone wants one or two please message me.

As for some more info to add to this thread,

The Ipad3 LCD controllers are all DisplayPort based at this point. You will need a computer that has this port available to be able to use this LCD. It does not work with HDMI or DVI. A good solution is a mini pc with this port or building something with a built in PC like I plan on doing. I will be documenting my 9.6" Retina build in the next couple of weeks.

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:02 am

I'm interested in joining the club, but I am waiting for documentation and design-suggestions.
(I would like to see something running, to replicate and improve upon)

For instance, is it possible to tension a FEP-film over the retina-display and expect this to work?
What is the cure-time using this setup, and do you need to modify the display somehow.

I bet I get my answers in the documentation, and I thank all of you who did not know all of this, and still went ahead and did it.

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:10 pm

@AndersonHTa

nc42
Site Admin

Postby nc42 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:56 pm

I won't be home for a number of months as I'm traveling for work but I've gone ahead and bought the screen and adapter and put my name in for an LED array. Excited to follow others progress for the next little while until I can get home.

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:37 pm

FEP film is really the only option so far PDMS doesnt work well, or go top down.

Problem im trying to solve at this moment in my bottom up setup is the Release. The FEP must be on the LCD or 1-2mm above max before the image becomes blurry due to the LCD diffusing light in all directions. FEP in contact with the LCD is best but the FEP film tends to adhere itself to the LCD and instead of acting as a flex vat, it becomes one with the LCD and the LCD flexes with the FEP.

I am currently working on a new release method that has the FEP in contact with the LCD, but raises off of it 4-5mm along with the Z when it raises between layers, the FEP vat then peels off the cured resin and returns to being on top of the LCD before the Z lowers back down - the layer thickness.

I'll post up some info on it next week.

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:33 am

Sounds like we should look at reinforcing the screen with a frame or something of the likes.

My current idea is to basically make a stretcher of FEP, similar to how they do it with canvas for paintings. I will also try and created a metal frame to help with the rigidity of the screen that will be flush with the screen surface.
@AndersonHTa

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:46 am

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:21 am

Without knowing if this works, my thought would be to :

Have a frame made where the FEP is fastened along the edges.
Then push the LCD against and "through" the FEP's settled position.
This makes a really tight fixture (LCD is screwed stuck in this fixed position)

What's next ....
Well I think one could make a tilt-move for the whole thing (frame with FEP / LCD and all)
Or possibly a sliding X-Move to release).

To make this work, you need to have a tight seal between the FEP and LCD.
If it adheres, then you can make it work for your benefit this way.