DLP Top Down IT LIVES!

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
anthony.julu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: DLP Top Down IT LIVES!

Postby anthony.julu » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:47 pm

I will be following closely all threads about Top-Down in this forum. I think this is the best way to go, at least for people who only want to print small stuffs like myself.

@PacManFan: Thanks for the advice and encouragement you gave me. That means a lot!!
But now that I'm convinced that building my printer will be "fairly easy", I'd like it to be a standalone unit (using a Raspberry pi), independent of a PC once the slicing task has been done. Could you advice me more on this? What should I do to get there?

PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PacManFan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:33 pm

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Spent last week tweaking and testing some more.. One feature that I think could help cut down print time alot would be an adaptive z reset height (go down more on layers with bigger surface area for proper resin coverage, less on layers with small surface areas ie support columns)

Test prints:

Magnitude

Postby Magnitude » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:05 pm

@kakapoopie This is def needed large surface area slices are a PITA. If there was a calculation made on the largest surface area prior to printing a layer. A simple algo could be popped in that adjust depth of dip and potential a delay time if needed.

I am going to be installing a heater in the my vat usings ramps outputs that I hope will get the resin to move a little faster. I do not believe that will be a fix but a step in the right direction maybe.

bobbitay

Postby bobbitay » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 pm

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Guys what's the advantage of a wiper? So far it seems like the resin self leveling is working fine.
@magnitude...yea especially with a large build area like you've got that could make a huuuge time difference.
also, with heated less viscous resin are you worried about increasing wait time for ripples

Magnitude

Postby Magnitude » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:11 pm

@Bobbitay I am avoiding a wiper for the time being. To be honest I still am unsure what it does. Is it just to speed up large surface coverage?

My cure times are 9 seconds right now so the ripples tend to level as it cures.

bobbitay

Postby bobbitay » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:51 am

I also am avoiding a wiper for now, but I always assumed it was a way to quickly get an even layer quicker than simple settling time and if you do have a meniscus effect or bubbles it could help diminish those, as well.

Magnitude

Postby Magnitude » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:01 pm

@bobbitay its probably only a matter of time then before I add one especially if it can speed up builds. I will work with the software for now and report back results.

kakapoopie

Postby kakapoopie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Got a bigger Z stage and a trash can :) about 12" travel
Attachments
IMG_20141006_092702361~2.jpg
IMG_20141005_094854~2.jpg
IMG_20141006_092710887.jpg