Here's my DLP printer

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
johnrpm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Here's my DLP printer

Postby johnrpm » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:20 am

The difference is plain to see, a very real improvement at little cost, when you down size in photoshop, do you get to pick
the sampling method, in some image editors you get to choose I think.
Anyway, this is very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PacManFan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:19 am

Now that I see the difference that this can make, I think I'll take it a little more seriously. Creation Workshop does support anti-aliasing. It's fixed at a factor of 1.5X with bicubic resampling. I'll add in an option for the user to set it from 1-5x.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks! That would be awesome! The larger the amount of oversampling, the smoother it will be. I'm doing it at 3.5x which seems to work great. I did try it at 2x but when sampled back down, it wasn't as smooth.

*Johnrpm - yes, you can pick the sampling method in Photoshop. I tried them all and the default, "bicubic automatic", worked best. You have to change this in preferences.

I'm looking forward to playing with CW. Does it allow you to pick your build size and dpi?

For my machine, my build/projection size is 4.5 x 6 inches which comes out to 170dpi (at 1024x768)

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:35 pm

watson - yes, CW allows you to set the platform size and output size. When you select a secondary monitor, it will automatically set that as the output resolution and calculate the correct pix/mm ratio for you.

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:25 am

Wow, that looks like it makes a big difference! But from a technical standpoint I don't get how it works. I mean, projectors have a fixed resolution, and you're either providing enough UV to successfully cure a voxel, or you aren't. By antialiasing the edges, shouldn't you just end up with some half cured goo around the perimeter?

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Well color me pleasantly surprised! Thanks for testing this and adding to our collective knowledge. :D

Happycamper

Postby Happycamper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:49 am

Probably a stupid idea, but here goes...

I love the idea of oversampling the images then downsizing them for better detail etc...

What if the software had a "shrinkage percent" option. This would downsize the images but not all the way. For example, if the shrinkage you notice is 2%, the images were downsized to a size which would reflect 2% larger than you need, that way after the 2% shrinkage, they would be correct?

Is that line of thinking off? Would it work?

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 am

Happycamper

Postby Happycamper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:46 pm

I see what you are saying.

I was more referring to the oversampling which would be awesome to include in the software. Then, when it downsizes the image, it doesn't downsize all the way, if that makes sense.

This is all for not if there are patents already like I think you are saying...

Also, the reason I like the idea of post, is I don't like having to adjust the model. For example, one day down the road, I can't remember if the model is scaled for shrinkage or not. Also, different resins may need different scales, and it gets hard to keep track.