Spam Spam Spam

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
erenaud

Spam Spam Spam

Postby erenaud » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:52 am

Hey Come on Mods

This is a really great forum. If you don't get this Spam deleted or implement some sort of Spam Protection (Adding a Captcha would probably greatly reduce Spam),
then this forum will just die.

If you want, I am willing to help moderating this forum, or I can assist installing a Captcha Solution.

Please, this SPAM has to stop.

erenaud

Re: Spam Spam Spam

Postby erenaud » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Hey all,
PacManFan reacted quickly and just made me an Administrator and a Moderator.
I'll be looking out for SPAM as well now and may propose some measures to protect us all from those mean Spambots.

I've taken two measures already:

1) When new users want to register, they now have to solve a Captcha, which should be much harder to solve by Spambots than the previously used "Question and Answer" Solution
2) New users as of now have to confirm their email address first, before they can post.

hp_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby hp_ » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:35 pm

good stuff erenaud

Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phife » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Great news! Thanks!

darrin3d

Postby darrin3d » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Already a noticable difference in spam - THANKS guys!

Szzer

Postby Szzer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:39 pm

erenaud you rock!

erenaud

Postby erenaud » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:22 am

Hi all,
an additional action that was taken, was to permanently delete users that -
1 - had never posted
2 - had a weird name such as "5kf7zem87kz"
3 - and had a URL in their profile similar to "www.russianpo**n.ru/joinnow.html"

The forum has been decimated from 700 somewhat users to now 245.

After I noticed on the phpBB-board that it is a common practice by spambots to first create an account on one day, and start posting spam only a couple of weeks later, I looked again through the list of users,
that have joined in the past that -
1 - had never posted.

Why would you want to actively register an account with this board, if you never want to post?

The only reason I could think of, is to get notifications by email if somebody else posts something on an existing thread -

However there are so many users who never posted, who also seem to have weird names, who seem to come from "senegal", "vanuatu", "zimbabwe" whereas the IP of these people locates them somewhere in china or russia...

So, again 174 members had to leave this board today - as these accounts are most likely spambots who are just waiting to start spamming.

If anyone with zero posts got deleted - I am sorry, but you are a victim of those spambots, just like this board is. Kindly register again.

Thanks for your understanding.

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for sorting out the spammers, why do they do it??, keep up the good work.
Random Precision

CAP257RM

Postby CAP257RM » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:23 am

Good news! Thanks.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:21 pm

My account got deleted, so I remade it. One reason for making an account but not posting is so you can view new or unread posts just saying :D

- lurker