Arduino based controller for dlp printer

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
HTL

Arduino based controller for dlp printer

Postby HTL » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 am

I have written software for arduino that I use with my 3d printer that uses simplified commands from Creation Workshop for printer control. It can be used with step/direction type step motor drivers and handles the vat, build plate, and projector shutter. The software can be found at http://projectsinterestsandetcetera.com ... lectronics the full build notes can be found at http://projectsinterestsandetcetera.com

johnrpm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Arduino based controller for dlp printer

Postby johnrpm » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:59 am

Now that is a good write up, I wish my blurd was half that good.
You'r right, the needs of dlp printers are basic compared to cnc or reprap, the
firmware need only be modest, I do get the feeling that lots of features may be added
to printers, maybe stand alone etc, without a pc, but that may need a controller like
the rasPi.
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PacManFan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:07 am

Excellent write up! Thanks for taking the time to document every step of the process of setting up CW, the hardware, and the software configuration you've used.

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:26 pm

**Edit** Figured it out.

Thanks
Clinton

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Curious if anyone else has tried this with the A4988 drivers?
I got everything it install properly and it connects to CW fine but it just burnt my driver instantly after sending the home command. I triple checked all the wiring etc and it was a good driver as it was working with the full RAMPS setup just prior. Any ideas on what might cause this, rather not burn another driver out since they are not that cheap really.

Clinton

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:49 pm

Finally sorted the issues out with trying to setup this software and it works. :) But it does not change any of parameters that are changed in CW. When the Z lift speed is changed or tilt etc it does not make any difference to the way the steppers etc react. Has anyone else tried this out and found a way to change the speeds etc?

Clinton

HTL

Postby HTL » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:07 am

these are the parameters you can adjust in the arduino code:
PlatenStepsPerLayer (which is the number of steps needed to raise the build plate 1 layer thickness, this thickness must match the slice thickness set in Creation Workshop), StepsToRaiseLowerBuildPlate, StepsToRaiseLowerVat, motorSpeed (z axis), motorAccel (z axis), TiltDownSpeed (vat), TiltDownAccel (vat), TiltUpSpeed (vat) TiltUpAccel (vat). See the comments in the arduino code for information on these parameters.
Last edited by HTL on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

HTL

Postby HTL » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:08 am

I have edited the previous post to list the main configurable parameters in the arduino software.

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:14 am

HTL

Postby HTL » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:35 am

the layer thickness set in the arduino softwares the PlatenStepsPerLayer parameter must match the Slice Thickness (mm) set in Creation workshop. The arduino software gets it's cycle time from Creation Workshops Lift and Sequence Time (ms) a time of 6000-7000ms is a good place to start. If you change the the Slice Thickness (mm) you must recalculate the PlatenStepsPerLayer to match an re upload the software to arduino.