Gizmo3d - DIY

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
archaejohn
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Gizmo3d - DIY

Postby archaejohn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi,

I believe this is the right board here but could easily fall under software as well. I have been interested in the Gizmo3d technology with top down continuous prints and I have not seen any discussion on the possibilities of doing this DIY. I understand that the speed increase is mainly for thin walled objects, but the discussion on higher speed printing seemed to be focused on bottom up approaches. One option for larger surface areas would be to have a moving slit to simulate thin walls however this is an untested theory. I have read the Autodesk Ember team testing that they were not able to get their printer to print reliably at those fast speeds, but GIZMO3d has so we know it is possible.

What we know:
They don't appear to use specialty gases.
They seem to use multiple light sources. (https://patents.google.com/patent/WO201 ... us+du+Toit)
also (https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 620321155/) showing 2 projectors

What advantage is the 2nd projector? are these alternating slightly different images? is it just for increased light for faster curing?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

archaejohn

Re: Gizmo3d - DIY

Postby archaejohn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Google translated patent abstract: from https://patents.google.com/patent/WO201 ... us+du+Toit

A method for 3D printing an article, the method comprising the steps of projecting images onto a liquid resin from a plurality of co-operating image sources; Aligning the images from the first and second sources at least in a single 2D plane in the liquid resin; Moving a plate with respect to the 2D plane, the displacement being substantially continuous; And allow the liquid resin to cure upon exposure to the image in the 2D plane, thereby forming the printed article. Hardening of the resin under the influence of the light emitted from the plurality of image sources may allow for a rapid printing process.

leitnin

Postby leitnin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:04 pm

My understanding is the super speed is simply from double the light output and only printing thin walled objects.

None of this works if your objects aren't thin wall, which has nothing to do with the projection (a slit won't help), and everything to do with the resin level on top of the cured layer.

the top of a thin wall being lowered into resin is 'immediately' covered in new resin, and not covered in excess from a deep dip that needs to flow or be wiped away. It can be cured essentially right away, and this can happen virtually continuously or even continuously if you're lucky. If the surface area gets larger (thicker walls or flat surfaces), you need to wait for the resin to settle, use a wiper, or a reverse flexi-vat setup.

So, f you build your own top down DLP and only print thin walled objects, you'll be able to mostly skip the dip/raise/wait that is what slows 'normal' printing down.

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:34 am

From what i remember they also use heat elements to heat the resin which lowers viscosity and makes it easier to reflow into open areas.