Pegasus Touch: problem with resin that stick the vat

General discussion of topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lucaam86
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Pegasus Touch: problem with resin that stick the vat

Postby lucaam86 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:16 am

Hi,
I have a pegasus 3D Printer touch but I have problems with the resin and the vat.
The resin polymerize on the vat every time that I print! Now the pot is broken (the silicon is broken) because the resin will stick too much to the vat.
I've balanced the plate and can not understand what the problem is.
Please, see the photos above.
Can you Help me?
Thank you

P.s.: Why I can't write new post on "Build your Own SLA/SLS" on Google+ ??

James

Re: Pegasus Touch: problem with resin that stick the vat

Postby James » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:12 am

Are you doing it outside and with the light shield not in place? I see some green grass there in one of your images so that's why I ask. If so the sun will very easily polymerize your resin. Indoors, some types of fluorescent lights will polymerize your resin as well. It would depend on the wavelength your resin is designed for as well as the type of fluorescent light. The clear yellow acrylic cover is supposed to block out all of the shorter wavelengths that can polymerize UV and blue light curable resins, but it may not work for sunlight because the sun could be too powerful.

The other thing it could be is that you're not using a resin recommended for the machine and so the one you are using doesn't have enough pigment in it to prevent the light from scattering too much within the resin. Solution, add more pigment.

Is the laser leaking stray light outside of the beam area? If so, you might be able to see this with a sheet of paper with phosphorescent paint on it.

I've heard a lot of bad reviews about this printer. Strange, because I met one of the owners of FSL at 3D Printer World Expo a few years ago and he was extremely knowledgeable.

Have you ever gotten any prints at all out of the machine in the past?
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

doobie

Postby doobie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:18 am

Try doing a print without the VAT in place, just put apiece of paper where the trace would be. Close the shield/door and run a print. See if the laser appears to match what you are trying to print. Something might be off and the laser splatters everywhere. Doing go outside with your VAT or it'll help set the resin more. Carefully lift any bad prints from the VAT or you may end up tearing the PDMS coating and then you'll need to recoat prematurely (been there done that myself).

doobie

Postby doobie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 am

One other thing, sadly IPA is the best way to clear resin from the VAT if it got on the VAT when the PDMS tore, but it also can cause the VAT to cloud up, once that happens you need a new VAT. I haven't found a way to rescue it. I tried 1000 grit wet sandpaper, but it left marks that would impact prints.