Top-down air pocket design?

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
flygfarkost
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Top-down air pocket design?

Postby flygfarkost » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:13 am

Hi everyone,

I had an idea some time ago when thinking about resin printers, please take a look at the picture and description here:

I've seen designs that use the bottom of a container in order to keep the surface of the resin flat and and at consistent height, but then there is the problem of resin sticking to the container.

Has this been done before?

SIDRANA

Re: Top-down air pocket design?

Postby SIDRANA » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:58 am

Hi;

Works well,

New DLP technique : The reverse flexi-vat for top-down :)
www.buildyourownsla.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2948

Best Regards

Saeed

mekada

Postby mekada » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Sidrana,
look at the sketch again. This is not a Reverse-Flex vat but an air cushion, which means no adhesion & peeling.
The big question is whether adding pressure in the cushion gives a more reliable layer height than just atmospheric pressure.

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:23 pm

Great idea! Then you can fill the pocket with low pressure oxygen and create a dead zone, made of resin that won't harden when exposed to UV light, focus your beam right under the surface and you'll have a continuous printing machine.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

flygfarkost

Postby flygfarkost » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:31 am

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:10 pm

I have been printing on my top down successfully for quite a while now, I use a tensioned diaphragm to prevent menisci from forming and it works great.
I see potential on your design. There are a few things to consider, like maintaining a constant pocket pressure control to avoid changes on resin level.
I wonder what effect would have using the pressure inside the pocket to replicate the dipping of the printing platform by varying the pressure inside the chamber in order to raise and lower the level of resin.

flygfarkost

Postby flygfarkost » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:18 pm

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 21169 times

flygfarkost

Postby flygfarkost » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:20 am