Possible way to replicate CLIP?

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
reluttr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Possible way to replicate CLIP?

Postby reluttr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:46 pm

So I have been thinking about how CLIP works. Basically it is replacing the traditional slyguard coating with a cushion of air, thus eliminating the need for the peeling motion between layers.

So then I started thinking about how the Peachy Printer's simple top-down approach works. Certain Resins FLOAT on water. Water also transfers light very well.

So in essence, what if we put a thin layer of water inside the build platform and then layered the resin on top of it? The resin would not stick to the build platform, since it would be floating on the water, eliminating the need for the peeling action between layers. Basically the only thing you would need to account for is the water tension disturbance from the item lifting out of the vat.

android78

Re: Possible way to replicate CLIP?

Postby android78 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:15 pm

I think that you would end up with bubbles of water in the print. Either that or you would need 10 min settling time after lift before every layer exposure. Since the weight of water (I assume a salt brine) is not that much different from the resin, it will take a long time to settle, becoming like a poorly performing version of a top down printer. Also, since the water will effectively prevent oxygen from reaching the bottom of the resin, that means that you don't have the thin layer of unhardened resin that you do with the FEP solution (or top down), so lifting for the next layer will have to lift will just lift the water below the hardened resin and you will have to wait for the resin to flow in from the edges.
If there was a heavy liquid that could carry excess oxygen, then you really could be onto something though.

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:12 pm

The very first step for fast printing is getting continues prints! You won´t get fast with retraction steps.

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:06 am

Good thinking! :D

A problem I see though is the resin is going to mix with the water somewhat at the interface. You need some way to 100% keep the resin from mixing. Though it is true that the resin and water cannot completely mix together it can mix on a microscopic level. Think micro-spheres of resin floating in the water at the interface area. Kind of like how oil and vinegar look separated when sitting still, but if one looks at the interface with a microscope one can see microscopic spheres of oil floating around in the water near the interface.

As for continuous, well it's not completely continuous. The reason why is it is a digital projector they're using. If there were such a thing as a analog projector then it could be stated that the process is continuous. They are doing enough layers per second though that for all practical purposes one could think of it as continuous.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:18 am

I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:01 am

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:07 am

What? Ice? :lol: