Another shoe - 100 micron layers

Let's see some prints you've made with some of your hardware.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gmoneyphx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Another shoe - 100 micron layers

Postby gmoneyphx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:41 am

Everyone seems to be obsessed about getting to 5 nanometer layer heights *

This is another shoe, printed at 100 micron layer height. I sprayed a coat of grey primer/filler because I find with FDM parts it shows what they truly look like - with all defects. In this case the surface roughness is mainly due to the primer. The point I am making is unless you are making really miniature parts a reliable 100 micron layer (as opposed to the mess you usually get with FDM at 100 microns) will build a nice part. Slight projector defocus and averaging due to light spreading in the resin leads to a nicely averaged shape. Almost like you would end up with on an FDM part after sanding. It's just that the DLP process kind of does the sanding for you. :D

*In case anybody wants to try, I do have a working stage fitted with a 5nm encoder...

2014-02-07 18_opt.jpg

watsonstudios

Re: Another shoe - 100 micron layers

Postby watsonstudios » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:22 pm

I completely agree! The smallest I will go is 50um layer height. Haven't tried it yet but will eventually.

I think 100um or .1mm is plenty thin, you really don't need thinner unless you're doing jewelry or small stuff, like you said.

I am completely happy with .1mm layers.

The only reason I want to try .05mm is to experiment with cure depth and warp control. I have a theory that I can get more accurate layer depth (without over cure) with thinner layers (.05mm)

If you think about it, The thicker the layer, the harder it is to control how deep the resin cures, and the deeper it cures, the more wavy the surface. With .05mm, I bet I can get flatter surfaces on the back side of the cure.

The big disadvantage to thinner layers is more slice images and longer build times.