Foot in high heel - top down system

Let's see some prints you've made with some of your hardware.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gmoneyphx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Foot in high heel - top down system

Postby gmoneyphx » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 am

Can't even express in words how much more I prefer top down systems. After trying both systems, fighting with the vat coating and release issues top down is a breath of fresh air.

The widget was the first print from the system. Just a shape test really that included an angle, sharp corner, radius, fillet and square hole. 75 micron layers SubG+ .15% tan pigment. Had an aspect ratio problem due to my video driver. Was supposed to be cylindrical not elliptical...

This shoe is the second print from this new system. 62.5 micron layers printed in SubG+ .15% tan pigment.

I need to fine tune the exposure and pigment levels to get sharper details but overall less than 1 week from start to finish building this printer and I am very happy with the results.

Never ending thanks go Steve. Creation Workshop makes it possible to build a printer in 1 week!

phpcoxD0zAM.jpg
Widget

phpPHHuPgAM.jpg
Shoe
Last edited by gmoneyphx on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finhead

Re: Foot in high heel - top down system

Postby Finhead » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:49 am

Wow very nice prints, sounds like you built a nice printer as well. :)

hp_

Postby hp_ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Very nice print :)

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Great stuff, just one week, takes me longer than that to boot windows.
Please keep us informed of progress, I may decide to change to top down if its better, before I go any further with my build, well done.

P.S, would clear resin work?, I can get gallons for free.
Random Precision

tom-res

Postby tom-res » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Do you have a build log or any additional info on your one-week-built printer? I'm in the process of designing my own top-down and would love to see other's successful examples!
Thanks!

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:26 pm

No log, but feel free to ask questions.

Frame/structure is 80/20 aluminum (3030 to be exact).
Z Axis is stepper driven stage I bought years ago on ebay (has a Kerk screw and anti-backlash nut)
Controller is Mega2560 board from Amazon.
Vat is a 4.5in square steel tube - 5" tall currently.
I have the projector mounted on an Igus linear bearing so I can adjust it vertically to change the print size (within limits).

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Nice, thanks for the information.
A few questions already. :)
What projector are you using and what drivers are you using with the Mega 2560?

Thanks for sharing
Clinton

tom-res

Postby tom-res » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks for the info so far!
Do you do anything special to handle displacement of the resin caused by the build platform?
Do you have any 'wiper' system/recoater blade for the meniscus?

Some images of your machine would be extremely helpful!

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:26 am

Nothing special is required to handle the platform displacement. You have to start builds manually by lowering the platform into the resin until it covers the platform, then raising until about .5mm above the resin surface. Then I scrape excess resin from the platform, let the remaining settle out and start the build.

Here is a picture of the machine. Apologies for overall lack of refinement...

2014-02-08 11_opt.jpg