My Dlp printer

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
258cj7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My Dlp printer

Postby 258cj7 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:36 pm

It was a long time in the making but I finally finished my printer. I set out to build a relatively low budget machine partly to prove you didn't need to spend a fortune on ball screws and precision linear stages but also because I had limited resources. It's not pretty, but it is functional and seems to print well. Currently it is controlled by Mach3 but I would like to make it more user friendly and interface it with the Creation Workshop software.

I have a blog of it here
http://johns3dp.blogspot.com/

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: My Dlp printer

Postby PacManFan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Excellent build and blog! I'm really impressed with your results. I need to try out the black resin myself.

258cj7

Postby 258cj7 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:11 am

Thanks. I'm actually really happy with how well it prints considering how low budget it is.
How about that Z axis? Just some angle iron and roller skate bearings.

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 am

Congratulations on your success!!
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:02 am

I like it, mine is also a long time in the making, but
seeing yours gives me some encouragement.

I hope you will join this little community of ours.
Random Precision

James

Postby James » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:11 pm

I recognize some of your images from the yahoo forum. Good to see you here and great work! :)

I love your Z axis! I'm amazed by the high resolution results you're getting from that!
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

258cj7

Postby 258cj7 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:35 pm

James, Thanks. Yea, the thing is... It doesn't have to be expensive (or look good), it just has to be solid. Those angle irons don't flex at all and I've got the bearings preloaded so there is no slop. I did spring for a nice ACME screw but made my own leadnut from Delrin. It's not anti-backlash but it hasn't been used enough to wear much. I'm hoping that when it starts to wear, gravity will take care of the backlash.