SLA Project built with (mostly) recycled/salvaged parts.

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
seasicksinbad

Re: SLA Project built with (mostly) recycled/salvaged parts.

Postby seasicksinbad » Tue May 27, 2014 4:22 pm

After much consideration I have decided to turn my machine into a top-down system.
The prints I was able to produce were very good but I think the tray is going to keep presenting issues. The FEP film was starting to present some issues from repetitive effort over time and I am sure they would only become more pronounced.
As resins become more affordable having a top-down system won't break the house.
Again, as I rebuild my printer I will be posting pictures of my progress.
Attachments
DSCF3089.JPG
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Liquid Garden
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Liquid Garden » Tue May 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Looks very nice.

Can I ask what problems you encountered with the FEP film? After how many prints would the problems occur?

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Tue May 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Finhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Finhead » Tue May 27, 2014 9:23 pm

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Wed May 28, 2014 11:36 am

nudem

Postby nudem » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:25 am

Hello,

I am newbie who want to make own SLA printer with galvo laser,

Is there any possibility some one help me about ;

What will be the aperture size
and the beam size input the scanner.

Thanks for help

dangre

Postby dangre » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:55 am

As mentioned before, I use 0.005" FEP non supported on a tension devise. I have abused it several times by accidentally driving parts into it 10mm or so and it just stretches. 35 parts all printed in the same area with no notice of degradation. I did learn not to touch the FEP with a cloth or paper towel to clean it (probably could get many more prints per sheet if didn't). It will scratch immediately. I just rinse in soapy water and then 'buff' it clean once completely dry with a micro cloth. Maybe the adhesive to a solid surface is the issue? The advantage to me is the ability of FEP to flex which makes release work so well.
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

MrBaz

Postby MrBaz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:39 pm

dangre

Postby dangre » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:22 am

MrBaz,
I am getting it from McMaster-Carr but as mentioned in other posts I have to use a really long exposure (16s). I've tried many different settings with my projector so it may be the FEP. I am looking for any advice on where others are getting their FEP and what exposure times they are getting.
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

seasicksinbad

Postby seasicksinbad » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:01 pm

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5718.JPG

Well, 2014 is ending and work is winding down a little bit. So I've been able to roll my sleeves up and get to work on my machine's redesign from bottom-up to top-down. Still preserving the original idea of building it out of mostly scrap materials, that otherwise would have been melted down for recycling. Needless to say that I am very happy with the way things are turning up. The resin container can be positioned up or down depending on the Z size of the piece to be printed, therefore eliminating the need of having to fill up the container in order to print shallow pieces. This aluminum container will need 3.3 liters of resin or 1.0 liters depending on the size of the piece to be printed. I've decided against using a saline solution to support the resin. Also, instead of a wiper, I will use a flexible membrane to keep the level of the resin constant and to prevent the meniscus effect due to surface tension. I will either use Makerjuice or Funtodo resins.
I will keep you posted.