First Build Top-Down getting started.

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
JohnGay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: First Build Top-Down getting started.

Postby JohnGay » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks for the info.
For the stuck pixels, I've found DMD chips on eBay for about $99. Much cheaper with dead pixels.
I was checking out me set-up and my projector seems to be switching off? Maybe because of the missing UV filter Glass. I wonder if I can remove the filter from the glass and put the glass back in?

JohnGay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JohnGay » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:16 pm

On the plus side, I got my Makerjuice G+ and my stepper driver board should be arriving soon!
So I can test exposure times with my projector.

khbaur330162

Postby khbaur330162 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:45 pm

You might be able to go on Alibaba and grab some low iron (aka ultra white) sheet glass in the dimensions that you need. If you've got the tools you could always slice the sheet down to size assuming it's the right thickness. I even saw some sheet glass for high heat applications. I'd imagine your biggest enemy here is minimum quantity order.

miribota

Postby miribota » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:17 pm

I know the IN2104EP has an auto shutdown if no sources are connected. If you do have a source connected and it is shutting down, it could be something else. I totally removed the filter glass from the bulb assembly and I haven't had any issues with it shutting off. I did have an issue turning on the projector when I didn't connect the color wheel back correctly (so I broke off the color wheel from the motor).

Regarding exposure times, I didn't test with the 2104, but the Dell I tried wouldn't cure with just the UV glass removed until I removed the color wheel.

JohnGay

Postby JohnGay » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Z Axis working!
So, I've got grbl loaded on my boarduino and I've got an A4988 driver connected.
My stepper motor is a Neocene 2T354205 12V 5 Ohm 96 step per revolution.
It's connected through 2 gears to a belt drive in my scanner.
After enabling 1/16 step on the driver, and then setting Z=750 step/mm I measure Z300 == ~297mm
I also see the scanner has an optical sensor at the start of travel. Not sure if I want to try to connect that through grbl, since my top-down setup will be dependent on the fill level. Probably need to set the start point manually. Unless I set Z0 == bottom of VAT? Strangely, Creation Workshop won't take machine configuration on my laptop. However, I have a workstation I plan to use that seems to run CW properly?

I'll do some exposure testing later.

JohnGay

Postby JohnGay » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:17 am

Strange thing. After loading grbl into my boarduino, I don't always get the prompt and it doesn't reply to '$' or '$$', but it does respond to Z## commands?
I tried re-loading a few times and several ways of resetting it hoping to find a reproducible bug but it just seems to randomly give a prompt?

piemaker16

Postby piemaker16 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Hello, I have also seen this instructable and plan to build a similar printer. Please keep us posted on using the scanner as a z-axis as i plan to do this as well. Lastly, have you heard about using salt water to fill up some of the vat's space? I was thinking i might try that as i would like a rather large 200mm height but don't want to go buy 2/3L of resin.

By the way is there any particular reason you avoided the same projector used in the article (selling around $75 with free shipping)?
EDIT: projector not printer
Last edited by piemaker16 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnGay

Postby JohnGay » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:41 am

I've heard quite a bit about using salt water to float the resin on. I've also seen comments on using glycerin. Not sure which I'll use. However, as I'm planning a build volume of nearly 3 litres, I'll probably try one of the other.

But, with MakerJuice at $55 a litre, it's not as expensive as it used to be.

If you were asking about the projector? I got mine for <$50 including shipping on eBay. Guess I'll have to see how bad the dead pixels affect my prints.

On another note, I saw someone comment about using hard drive platters for front-surface mirrors. I might look into that rather than mounting my projector pointing down.

miribota

Postby miribota » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04 am

Regarding the dead pixels, you are better off with pixels stuck in the off position. If they are stuck in the on position (which is what I had), you will be exposing the resin to those pixels and you will probably get small cured particles in your vat.

For the mirror, I was curious about using the HDD platter as well. If you do, let us know how it works. I'm using a first surface mirror on my bottom up that I got for a couple of dollars from my local American Science & Surplus

FR3Dprint

Postby FR3Dprint » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:31 am

Hi everybody, just to say that I'd already used HDD plate as Mirror on my V2 printer and confirm that it works great !