My Build Log - Low Cost DLP Printer (Hopefully Under £800)

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DepthDesign3D
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My Build Log - Low Cost DLP Printer (Hopefully Under £800)

Postby DepthDesign3D » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:01 am

I am going to use this space to log my efforts in building my own DLP printer.

Before getting on to my build plans I will introduce myself as I am new to the forum. I am Andy, I recently graduated from Strathclyde University with an MEng in Product Design Engineering. I made a lot of focus on 3D printing whilst there, doing research on additive manufacture and also working on various 3D printing projects. Before completing university I started my own product design/3D printing business called Depth Design with a couple of colleagues. I have had some experience in making FDM 3D printers, my proudest achievement being the Foldarap I built(http://reprap.org/wiki/FoldaRap).

The ultimate goal of designing our own DLP printer is to get to know the technology, but as an added bonus it will give Depth Design more printing capabilities.

I have decided to base my design on the LittleRP to an extent, but instead of a laser cut enclosure/frame I am going to go for the same style as used in the Foldarap Reprap printer with 3D printed corners and connections. I actually considered using an almost identical design to the Foldarap, utilising the same Z axis mechanism however I dont think it would be as accurate as I would like.

I will use the same type of Z axis mechanism as the LittleRP, using a servo leadscrew and a linear bearing rail/block.

I am in two minds whether to use two mirrors so I can mount the projector behind the z axis facing down, I'm not sure if this is the best idea or not? If the projector is safe enough to put here I will as it will reduce the footprint of the printer.

I haven't thought about the printing vat and build surface yet, I will just have to make sure I make the rest of the design flexible enough to accomodate whatever option I go with.

Wish me luck :)

PomeroyB

Re: My Build Log - Low Cost DLP Printer (Hopefully Under £80

Postby PomeroyB » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 am

Welcome to the forums, and good luck!

DepthDesign3D

Postby DepthDesign3D » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:37 am

I've been thinking about what electronics I should use.

Would an Arduino Uno & Arduino Motor Shield be suitable to control my Z axis Nema 17 stepper motor and either a servo motor or stepper motor for tilt?

I have been offered a motor shield I can use with my spare arduino, if they would work that would be very handy.

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:31 pm

The Arduino motor shield uses H-Bridges to run their stepper motors, which Grbl (a popular CNC firmware for the Uno) does not support. You might have some trouble getting (community) standard firmwares to run on it, but I'm not sure.

mystamo

Postby mystamo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Have a look at my post on top down SLA in this build section.

I'm using an Arduino. With support for Tilt and Shutter as well as Z.

Nice work on the folding CNC.

Regards,

Mo

DepthDesign3D

Postby DepthDesign3D » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:49 am

DepthDesign3D

Postby DepthDesign3D » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:23 am

Here's an update of my build.

• I've assembled the main sections of the frame and have a tilting section all hinged up. Should have pictures later on.

• I just need to decide how I am going to mount a stepper motor or servo motor with cam for the tilt. I really want the tilting frame to return to a level position when not being forced by the cam, and have the cam push the frame down. This should allow me to guarentee that the plate returns to level every time and doesn't rely on an accurate motor placement/cam position.

• I've ordered a very similar Z axis to the little RP, with a Hiwin linear rail/carriage and a nema 17 stepper with Tr8*8 leadscrew. I just need to find an anti backlash nut which I can get in the UK for a reasonable price.

• I've decided to use an arduino UNO with one or two easydrivers, depending on if I use a stepper motor or servo motor for the tilt. I will also use a spare power supply which was too big for my foldarap build. I am not sure what firmware to go for yet. Purely depnds on which one looks to be the simplest to learn.

• I have been trying to source first/front surface mirrors in the UK but I am struggling to find reasonably priced suppliers.

• I have decided to go with the Acer P1500 projector. I like the fact it won't need any mods, as it means I could sell it and upgrade if I need to, and keep the warrenty intact.

DepthDesign3D

Postby DepthDesign3D » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:06 am

Heres some progress pictures of my frame.

I'm waiting on a lot of the components to be delivered, but do have a working Tilt axis and the majority of the frame assembled.

The next task should be to cut the sheet material for mounting everything to. Thinking about getting a shapeoko, if I do I'll hold off until I have it up and running.
Attachments
IMG_5626[1].JPG
IMG_5618[1].JPG
IMG_5617[1].JPG

DepthDesign3D

Postby DepthDesign3D » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 am

Friday was quite eventful, my Makerbot Replicator 2 broke down (turns out to be a broken thermocouple), this has probably urged me more to get on with my DLP build.

Over the weekend I mainly focused on the electronics side of things, when I wait for the replacement parts for my makerbot and wait on recieving a shapeoko kit I recieved (should allow me to get some sheet materials cut for the build. Here's what I achieved:

• I have fully prototyped the electronics using two easydrivers, an arduino and two steppers (a nema 14 and nema 17). They are all moving as intended and seem to be powerful enough for the Z axis and tilt mechanisms.

• I have designed some sheet parts which will be used to create an enclosure and also mount components (the final result will be quite similar to the littleRP)

• I have sourced some 140mm Polystyrene Pitri dishes which should provide me with a large enough build area to get me started. I have 10, so this should give me an opportunity to test different coatings (or none at all) and give me time to design a flex vat if that is what I decide to use.

Hopefully my build isn't slowed down too much with my makerbot not working just now.