Sub $1000 build, including projector

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
crusoe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sub $1000 build, including projector

Postby crusoe » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Ongoing 3d printer build:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10955795 ... biF3cbuswE

Shooting for <$1000 including projector.

Frame is being built from actobatics parts. They do use inch dimensions, but they go together really nice and square, and they provide all sorts of goodies. I will need some straighter threaded rod for the z, what I have right now is slightly bent.

Just ordered parts for the frame to hold the resin tank.

My flex-vat resin tank is a super simple desing. Its a 4" pvc female threaded insert and a 4" rubber cap. I cut off the top of the cap, then adjust it so that it JUST barely wants to fit over the film + pvc ficture. I then press down and work it down. This stretches and tensions the film. Then you simply tighten the hose clamp. When done, it sounds like a little dumb. And of course, since its a threaded insert, you can buy a 4" pvc screw cap, and your resin container now has a lid. Be sure to lightly sand the bottom and remove any flashing from the injection molding process as this will tear the film. I've confirmed the tank is water tight.

They also make 6" parts, which are more expensive, so I used the 4" to test the idea, and I think it will work.

To mount the tank in the printer, the frame will be a square using the 3/8" threaded inserts for the actobatic channels. Then I will use 3/8" inch set-bolts ( think long set screws ) to hold the tank. By twiddling the screws, I can adjust and ensure the tank is level.

My plan for the projector is a cheap LCOS projector from AAXA. I should be able to remove the color leds and add in my own. I am hoping to use 1 white for the red channel, and 2 405nm for the g and b channels. then when I send a red image, I will get a nice white calibration pattern, and when I send a cyan image ( G+B ) I will have nice fast curing resin image.

z stepper control is still being worked on.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Sub $1000 build, including projector

Postby PacManFan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:39 am

That sounds like a really nice method for tensioning the FEP for the VAT bottom. I still need to make an FEP only vat bottom for my mUVe printer. (and others)
Looks good so far!

crusoe

Postby crusoe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:19 pm

More photos coming soon.

Built the vat frame and mounted z-axis. need to stiffen it a tiny bit more, but it should work very well.

Using the large set screws to position and hold the tank works very well. Once tightened, tank is impossible to move. The 3/8" 3" long set screws are cup-nosed.

GPIO board came today. Will see I can use this with a easydriver to control the stepper, or will I have to grab a arduino.

crusoe

Postby crusoe » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Uploaded another pic to album, this time with resin tank frame in place and z-axis mounted. Arm needs a bit more stiffening.

Planning on using a floor drain cover for the build platform.

If I build a 6" tank, I estimate effective build volume at approximately 250 cubic inches.

crusoe

Postby crusoe » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:07 am

Got fep film from CS Hyde. For being a teflon relative, its surprisingly tough stuff. Resin beads up on the film, but spreads out on glass. I tried curing a blob of resin with a near uv LED, and it fell off when touched. Basically near zero adhesion force. I then smeared a thin layer of resin onto a piece of glass, smooshed the film on top, and then cured it. The FEP film peeled right off. Explains why passive peel flex bottom tanks work so good.

seblos

Postby seblos » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello Crusoe,
give me the code of teflon purchased.
thanks