DLP printer Build

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
watsonstudios
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: DLP printer Build

Postby watsonstudios » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 pm

I think there is no need to worry about the vat. It looks like it will be supported just fine. There should not be a downward pressure on the vat anyway during a build, only upward when the part releases.

If anything, I would add another fastening plate to the sides or top of the vat mount extrusion. But probably not necessary.

Jon

James

Postby James » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Nice work so far. :) Going from the Instructibles build it appears.

I'm wondering about those T-slot extrusions. They look like an inexpensive design. Where did you get it and what did it cost?

I'm currently searching around the world for the best deal on aluminum T-slot extrusions. I'm doing a DLP build too, but my shop is too cold to work in right now. I started on a welded steel frame (overkill) and got the idea that if I make the frame from T-slot extrusion I can just bolt it together indoors. :D

The best deals I can find so far appear to be used extrusions on eBay.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

Finhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Finhead » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:51 pm

James

Postby James » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Can't beat free! :D

Yeah, I too keep building materials laying around for decades. :lol: Also, I'm terrible at anything having to do with technical stuff like programming. :)
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:06 pm

Finally after not being able to work on this for awhile I've finished this up. Just have to coat the VAT and I should be able to start some test prints.
Kinda finished the last bit in a hurry since I really should be working on other things so some isn't exactly they way I wanted but I can fine tune and tweak as I go from here on in.
Did some more bracing on the Vat arms since hp_ brought it up was on my mind. lol
Also changed out the Acme screw for a 10mm 1.5 threaded rod since it has a very slight bend that I could see in movement where the 10mm does not at all. Also Delrin nuts on the top and bottom tensioned by a spring between to take out any backlash, I cannot measure an backlash with my digital calipers but they only go down to 10 microns so there could still be some.
I've been able to get the RAMPS 1.4 to play well with a servo so I have a shutter working as well which I think is nice for keeping the stray light off the build plate.
Build plate has been drilled out with 1/8" holes to reduce some of the suction as I hope it works with passive tilt, if not I have a game plan for adding a stepper.
And power is supplied form a old Dell laptop supply 19.5volts at 4.62A more than enough for driving 2 steppers. :)

A few pics, don't mind the mess just busy if anyone has any suggestions or questions feel free.

Clinton

James

Postby James » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 am

Looks real nice. Great work on the design.

What is that laminate you are using for the base and some of the brackets? From the images it appears to be aluminum sheet with a foam core. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Where do you get that? Is it easy to cut or is it problematic?

I just ordered a batch of T-slot aluminum extrusions from Misumi yesterday so I should be able to get back to mine in a few weeks.

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:51 am

Josh@MakerJuice

Postby Josh@MakerJuice » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:38 pm

Looks great! Can't wait to see the prints!

AndersonTa

Postby AndersonTa » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 am

@AndersonHTa