BMMal DLP Build

Here's the place to post pics / video and discussions regarding hardware you've built or are in the process of building.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BMMal
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

BMMal DLP Build

Postby BMMal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:54 am

Here is an album of the machine I have built. It's a pretty standard setup for the most part. My flex bottom vat is probably the most interesting part of the machine. There is a step file of the vat assembly in the link below as well.

The vat is made of a 2x2" architectural aluminum angle extrusion from McMaster, a 1/4" plate of aluminum, a 3/8" plate of aluminum, a viton O-ring (silicone would probably work alright), aluminum filled epoxy, FEP, and 3D printed tension ring. This design requires access to a manual mill, 3D printer, and a miter saw.

I milled a step in the bottom and top of the 3/8" aluminum (the bottom plate) around the window. This is where the tension ring sits on one side and possibly a sheet of glass on the other to protect the projector.

The 1/4" aluminum has a window cut in it and then several holes, both clearance and threaded. It is the clamp for the FEP.

The walls of the vat are the aluminum angle. Miter the ends and bevel them. Rather than welding them I epoxied it (the black is actually PMMA, but aluminum filled epoxy would be better - more chemical resistant). I did use aluminum filled epoxy to flatten the bottom surface of the wall flange. This flange is where I cut a square (profile and path) for the O-ring to sit. Ideally the path would be rounded but I don't have a CNC available for free.

Glacian22

Re: BMMal DLP Build

Postby Glacian22 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:49 am

Looks really nice! Link to the O-ring?

BMMal

Re: BMMal DLP Build

Postby BMMal » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:14 pm